File locked by another process...

Renshai

Hi

first off, great prog, been using 5.5 up to now. :D

With the new version 5.8 I occasionally get the error message "Files locked by another process. Do you want to Erase after restart".

While this is a good feature the fact that this error pops up for each locked file is a bit irritating. Is there a way of switching this message off or getting a summary after erasing à la 5.5?
Haven't found any settings yet which get rid of the message.

Any help appreciated.

Renshai said:
Hi

first off, great prog, been using 5.5 up to now. :D

With the new version 5.8 I occasionally get the error message "Files locked by another process. Do you want to Erase after restart".

While this is a good feature the fact that this error pops up for each locked file is a bit irritating. Is there a way of switching this message off or getting a summary after erasing à la 5.5?
Haven't found any settings yet which get rid of the message.

Any help appreciated.
it's not an error, it's meant to happen. It's a message to tell you that some files could not be wiped, but will be wiped at startup (before the OS locks the files). There is an option in 5.8 to disable this message / option, in General Preferences (I think). It also means that the said files will not be wiped at startup if you disable this option. The normal files caught by this message are index.dat files if I remember. Under previous versions of Eraser (and 5.8 if you disable the option) the file won't be deleted.

Robbie said:
it's not an error, it's meant to happen. It's a message to tell you that some files could not be wiped, but will be wiped at startup (before the OS locks the files). There is an option in 5.8 to disable this message / option, in General Preferences (I think). It also means that the said files will not be wiped at startup if you disable this option. The normal files caught by this message are index.dat files if I remember. Under previous versions of Eraser (and 5.8 if you disable the option) the file won't be deleted.

Thanks for the reply. I realise that it's not a program error and that the message is of an informative nature.
My problem is that although there are several settings avalable under Edit, Preferences, General, which would appear to address the problem, none seem to work.
In the section "Locked files" there are two option "Enable resolving of file locking" and "Ask user". Whatever combinaation of these two options is selected it seems to have no effect at all.

It's not a big deal really, just irritating if I'm deleting a lot of files and some are locked. I will either have to live with it or re-install 5.5 :(

I've only used the beta version of 5.8, so I'm going off memory, but have you tried deselecting those two options?

When I was using 5.8 I was able to prevent this message from appearing.

Robbie said:
I've only used the beta version of 5.8, so I'm going off memory, but have you tried deselecting those two options?

When I was using 5.8 I was able to prevent this message from appearing.

Yup, tried that, didn't work.

Still couldn't get 5.8 to work the way I expected :( so I've no removed it from my system and installed 5.7 instead.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Back