Files to Wipe

euroboy

To all the old timers [those who have used eraser for a long time] it would be nice if some could list the files that should be be wiped as per their "on demand list". As a newbie I would encouraged to se what the Profs are doing and what, where the files are, that should be deleted.

Gratefully Yours

euroboy

Hey euroboy, interesting request. No, I dont consider myself a "pro" with Eraser (is there such a thing?), but Ive used it for a long time, and here is part of what I have on my Windows XP system (some of these folders may not exist on your system):

C:Documents and SettingsDefault UserLocal SettingsTemp
C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersLocal SettingsTemp
C:Documents and SettingsLocal ServiceLocal SettingsTemp
C:Documents and SettingsNetwork ServiceLocal SettingsTemp
(Similar "Docs and Settings" entries for all the "normal" user names, like my own.)
C:WINDOWSsystem32configsystemprofileLocal SettingsTemp
C:Recycler
D:Recycler
(Similar "n:Recycler" entries for all of my other partitions.)

C:Temp
C:WindowsTemp

D:DataOutlook ExpressDeleted Items.dbx
D:DataOutlook ExpressSent Items.dbx
(My OE store folder is under D:DataOutlook Express.)

And, of course, "Unused disk space" tasks for all of my individual partitions.

Here is another little trick...

I use a shut down utility (Switch Off, http://yasoft.km.ru/eng/), and I use it each time I reboot or shut down my Windows XP system. But theres more to it than that. Instead of just launching a shortcut to the Switch Off utility, I use a batch file. This batch file first calls Eraser, which overwrites the Recycle Bin, and whatever else I happen to specify. Then, when Eraser exits, the restart or shut down proceeds normally. This whole process normally takes only a very short amount of time. Here is an example batch file:

<---Start of batch file below this line--->
@echo off
cls
rem Method "DoD" is 7-pass; method "DoD_E" is 3-pass.
rem You can change the number after the "Random" method (e.g. "Random 1" or "Random 3").

rem Choices for launching priorities are:
rem REALTIME
rem HIGH
rem ABOVENORMAL
rem NORMAL
rem BELOWNORMAL
rem LOW

echo.
echo Please wait, overwriting Recycle Bin...
echo.

start "" /high /wait "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -recycled -silent -method Random 1
rem start "" /high /wait "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -recycled -silent -method Random 2
rem start "" /high /wait "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -recycled -silent -method DoD_E
rem start "" /high /wait "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -recycled -silent -method DoD
rem start "" /high /wait "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -recycled -silent -method Gutmann

cls

"C:program FilesSwitch Offswoff.exe" /shutdown /wait:5
<---End of batch file above this line--->

A few things to note...

* This is written for WinXP, first of all.

* The "/high" parameter causes Eraser to run at high priority. This isnt really necessary, but it helps a bit to make it finish more quickly.

* The paths may vary on your system (of course).

* The various "rem start" lines are there for convenience--in case I want to switch to a different overwriting method quickly and easily.

* You can add any additional folders or files you want here. For example, it would be very easy to add a call to eraserl.exe to have your temp folder erased on shut down or restart--however that is usually not a good idea, since setup programs often keep temporary files there for when they need you to reboot to replace files that were in use when setup was run.

Yet another trick involves erasing Temporary Internet Files, History, Cookies, and other clutter at each startup. But this post is already quite long...

Many Many Thanks Scott
Your post helps a lot and again Im most grateful.[;)]

Had success with the switch off utility etc...but I think I will be making more requests.

Thanks agian Scott

Gratefully Yours

Euroboy

Youre very welcome. There are so many other tips...

Most people (correctly) think of the Windows Recycle Bin as a potential risk to privacy. With a utility like Eraser, it can become just the opposite.

Some people advise manually bypassing the Recycle Bin when you delete files, or disabling the Recycle Bin altogether. Both methods leave your files accessible on disk (at least temporarily). Instead, make sure the Recycle Bin is enabled on all drives. Then, use a batch file like the one shown above to have the Recycle Bin overwritten each time you shut down.

In addition, you can use the Windows Task Scheduler to have Eraser overwrite the Recycle Bin contents every so often--instead of just when you shut down:

"C:program FilesErasereraserl.exe" -recycled -method Random 2 -silent

Have that task run every few hours, once a day, or as often as you see fit.

In this way, the Recycle Bin changes from being a risk to your privacy into a sort of "tool" to help protect your privacy--with the help of Eraser, of course. Anything you delete will automatically go to the Recycle Bin, and soon after will be securely deleted!

Here is a batch file I just wrote to clean up the various Insecure Explorer (oops, of course I mean "Internet Explorer") traces upon boot. This will work on Windows 2000 and Windows XP Home/Pro, and is best executed using Task Scheduler, with a task set to run "At system startup".

The path to "Eraserl.exe" on your system may vary, and you will (of course) have to plug in the correct value(s) for user name(s) (in place of "[user name #1]" and "[user name #2]").

I didnt really want the "-silent" command-line option in there, but I had to in order to prevent "File not found. Nothing to erase." errors from Eraserl.exe, in the case that some of the target directories were empty. For example, if you erase the directories for one of your user names, then reboot before anything new is written to those same directories by Internet Explorer (for example, because the user didnt log in during that Windows session), youll get a "File not found. Nothing to erase." error message upon your next boot. Adding the "-silent" parameter suppresses that mild annoyance. Unfortunately, it also suppresses the progress dialog. I wish it were possible with Eraserl.exe to keep the progress dialog while suppressing errors, but its not...

The blurb at the end of the batch file (i.e. "rem Comment out...") is simply an explanation as to how to keep the command prompt window on screen after all the Eraserl.exe commands finish. That is, if you change the line "goto end" to read "rem goto end", the "pause" line will execute, which will keep the window present. The only reason I put that in there is because I like to change my command prompt window colors and fonts. [;)] If you use this, make sure you change "rem goto end" back to "goto end" after youre done.

Be careful with this batch file--it will blow away ALL of your Insecure Explorer cookies and history, if you run it as is!

<---Start of batch file below this line--->
@echo off
cls

rem Method "DoD" is 7-pass; method "DoD_E" is 3-pass.
rem You can change the number after the "Random" method (e.g. "Random 2" or "Random 3").

rem Choices for launching priorities are:
rem REALTIME
rem HIGH
rem ABOVENORMAL
rem NORMAL
rem BELOWNORMAL
rem LOW

echo.
echo Please wait while Internet items are erased...
echo.

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorLocal SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsAdministratorCookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersLocal SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersCookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsDefault UserLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsDefault UserLocal SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsDefault UserCookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsLocalServiceLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsLocalServiceLocal SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsLocalServiceCookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsNetworkServiceLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsNetworkServiceLocal SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and SettingsNetworkServiceCookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and Settings[user name #1]Local SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and Settings[user name #1]Local SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and Settings[user name #1]Cookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and Settings[user name #2]Local SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and Settings[user name #2]Local SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:Documents and Settings[user name #2]Cookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:WINDOWSsystem32configsystemprofileLocal SettingsTemporary Internet FilesContent.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:WINDOWSsystem32configsystemprofileLocal SettingsHistoryHistory.IE5" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent
start "" /high "C:program FilesEraserEraserl.exe" -folder "C:WINDOWSsystem32configsystemprofileCookies" -subfolders -keepfolder -method Random 2 -silent

rem Comment out the next line to pretty up the windows that displays while the above commands execute.
goto end
pause
:end
<---End of batch file above this line--->

Euroboy, apart from what Scott has mentioned here, another article which may be of interest to you is here:
http://netsecurity.about.com/library/we ... 20402a.htm
It mainly covers the location of the ubiquitous "index.dat" files, which are spread out all over the place, and may contain hidden data about different things. You might wish to consider wiping the folders which contain them as part of your "On Demand" erasing.

Back