For us novices

historybuff

Hi all. I was referred to this program by my father who seems to be using it without knowledge of its workings. I being decent with a computer but ignorant nonetheless was hoping I could clear some things up and maybe try to understand them in Lamans terms. I have seen several questions posed similar to mine but am not great with the technical jargin. I was hoping to ask a few questions for us in that position.

1. I would always delete my internet files by clearing my internet history and files, then by going to computer drive c and cleaning up there. If I did all this before I ever installed eraser I assume that those files ARE NOT being overwritten and I will have to recover them and delete them so that eraser will see them to overwrite them. Correct?

2. Every time I run Eraser my 900 gigs of free space is completely used up. I get to the end of my HD space (using vista) and become concerned that I will not be able to use the computer, or that it will shut down with no available memory and be unable to reboot. This causes me to stop the program. What is the best way to avoid this in Lamans terms? I have looked for system restore history but am unable to find it. I also wonder if this is normal to fill the entire HD.

I and others with a less evolved computer knowledge would truly appreciate a brief walk through on some of these things. I appreciate your help and the work you put in on this program. My Thanks.

historybuff said:
1. I would always delete my internet files by clearing my internet history and files, then by going to computer drive c and cleaning up there. If I did all this before I ever installed eraser I assume that those files ARE NOT being overwritten and I will have to recover them and delete them so that eraser will see them to overwrite them. Correct?
No, an unused space erasure should completely eliminate those files. That will really save your time...

historybuff said:
2. Every time I run Eraser my 900 gigs of free space is completely used up. I get to the end of my HD space (using vista) and become concerned that I will not be able to use the computer, or that it will shut down with no available memory and be unable to reboot. This causes me to stop the program. What is the best way to avoid this in Lamans terms? I have looked for system restore history but am unable to find it. I also wonder if this is normal to fill the entire HD.
It's perfectly normal, nothing bad will happen. If Eraser completes it's job there will be no problems whatsoever.

Joel

Back