Fragmented Files

mckin927

I have a 160G harddrive with over a 100G of fragmented files on it. How do I get rid of them? Please talk to me like I'm a new user whinch in this aspect I am.

On my framented files, I've studied some tutorials and have refined my problem to a different area,"tmp" files. I have over 100G's of them. I found them with the search command on Windows XP and have deleted some of them but with over 19,000 files it's going to take a long time.
How do I erase 'bstF5.tmp' with 'eraser demand'or how do I bring up 'eraser'l. I'm using the 35 bit eraser on an older 'Pent. 4' processer and any help would be wonderful. I learn more every time I go at it but I've trying to delete this problem for 5 days and won't quit till I get it. Thanks for any help, mckin927.

Why do you need to use Eraser to get rid of fragmented files? Won't a delete suffice (and save you a lot of time in the process?) - are the files sensitive?

Joel

Re: Fragmented Files and Temp File Deletes

mckin927 said:
I have a 160G harddrive with over a 100G of fragmented files on it. How do I get rid of them? Please talk to me like I'm a new user whinch in this aspect I am.
Why can't you run a standard defragment tool, like Windows Disk Defragmenter, or Defraggler, or others? I don't know your OS, but in Windows, depending on version, it's something like Start > Programs > Accessories and perhaps > System Tools. You might also get there by Start > Run and type "defrag" (no quotes) > enter.
Piriform Defraggler has worked well for me. http://www.defraggler.com. Freeware/donations accepted, no nag screens. Afterward, run Eraser for the sensitive files.

mckin927 said:
On my framented files, I've studied some tutorials and have refined my problem to a different area,"tmp" files. I have over 100G's of them. I found them with the search command on Windows XP and have deleted some of them but with over 19,000 files it's going to take a long time.
How do I erase 'bstF5.tmp' with 'eraser demand'or how do I bring up 'eraser'l. I'm using the 35 bit eraser on an older 'Pent. 4' processer and any help would be wonderful. I learn more every time I go at it but I've trying to delete this problem for 5 days and won't quit till I get it. Thanks for any help, mckin927.
Did you know that you can usually delete directly from the Search function results box? "Select" (highlight) en masse, then r-click > delete. That should enable you to delete hundreds at a time. If not, then you can r-click and "open containing folder" and delete from there.

If you want to really automate this process, copy and paste the following lines to a text (.txt) document:

@echo off
del /s /q c:\*.temp
del /s /q c:\*.tmp
pause
exit

Save it with a name like tempdelete.bat. The file name is not important except to remind you what it's for. The .bat extension is what makes this work. You'll get a prompt about changing a file extension. Click "OK". The icon will turn into a blue/white one with a gear. Double-click it, and watch the files disappear.

The pause is there only so you can see the list of deleted files if you want to. If you continue to use this file and don't need to see it working, you can delete the "pause" line. (R-click > Edit > save when done.) Then it will run and close itself when it's done. Hope this helps.

Back