freeze after 6 seconds of overwriting

Bru88

Hey all

I try use dban on my computer, i typed "gutmann" in everything works but after 6 seconds it freeze, so i need to restart pc. I tryed to use CD media and floppy disk.. always the same problem. I also tryed other methodes..

Samsung SP2504C (SpinPoint P120) is my hard drive and mainboard: Asus A8N32-SLI DELUXE.

Please help me

Hi Bru88

Typed Gutmann ? Do you not use the GUI ?

Have you made a bootable disk ?

what is gui? and yes i made a bootable disk, dban loaded the image but after 6 seconds of overwriting my comp freeze

GUI = Graphical User Interface.

It is just that you said you “typed” Gutmann.

Are you certain that your disk isn’t damaged in any way ? Do you have another hard drive you could test with using the same main board ?

what version of DBAN are you using? I've found that the last stable release (v1.0.7) works fine on my Windows XP computer but refuses to work on my laptop (Vista Home Premium) - it loads up but after pressing F10 to start it almost freezes from the word go and makes little progress, taking almost 10 minutes to get to 1% on a 1 pass PRNG whilst indicating it may take 24 hours to run! Conversely the "current" Beta version, dban-beta.2007042900 refuses to work at all on my XP computer (it shows a message "DBAN finished with non-fatal errors" as soon as I press F10 - yet the stable version runs successfully) but works brilliantly on my Vista laptop.

All I can think is that the Beta version isn't compatible with my PC but is with my laptop and vice-versa for the other version.

Could you try downloading the "other" version and try that? Download from here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=61951

There is a user forum there too, though it seems like it has been all but abandoned with users replying to their own threads chasing up queries with seemingly no DBAN admin to be seen anymore.

EDIT: looking at the forum at sourceforge it seems like other people have similar problems and the advice is to try the beta / try the last stable release.

Hi Robbie :)

I've found that the last stable release (v1.0.7) works fine on my Windows XP computer but refuses to work on my laptop (Vista Home Premium)

I would think it is more a case of what hardware you are running rather than what operating system you have loaded. DBAN shouldn’t care what OS you have installed.

it almost freezes and makes little progress, taking almost 10 minutes to get to 1% on a 1 pass PRNG.

Could this not be explained by the size and speed difference of your hard drives ?

replying to my own post here! I was in the middle of running DBAN on my PC, which is why I was at this forum (after encountering problems with the DBAN beta, that "DBAN has finished with non-fatal errors" message, above). On the page main DBAN screen I had four "unrecognised devices" showing, along with the hard drive. t just occurred to me that I have 4 USB ports on my PC... so I disabled the USB ports in the BIOS. I've ran the beta disk again, those unrecognised devices have vanished and now the beta is running as it should be.

I know it's not much help but if you try the beta you may have some joy to begin with and if you then encounter the same error message then it will give you an idea of what is still possibly causing a problem.

Overwriter said:
Hi Robbie :)

I've found that the last stable release (v1.0.7) works fine on my Windows XP computer but refuses to work on my laptop (Vista Home Premium)

I would think it is more a case of what hardware you are running rather than what operating system you have loaded. DBAN shouldn’t care what OS you have installed.

it almost freezes and makes little progress, taking almost 10 minutes to get to 1% on a 1 pass PRNG.

Could this not be explained by the size and speed difference of your hard drives ?
Hi Overwriter!

The beta version contains different drivers which allows it to run on more computers. Back in February, before the beta was released Darik acknowledged that DBAN wasn't able to run on all types of computer (it's related to the hard drive, incompatible drivers or something like that), The beta addressed this problem, as well as the problem of the Host Protected Area (up to v.1.0.7 the HPA was honoured). The problem of DBAN freezing (or seeming to freeze) has been raised before, eg:

http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php? ... _id=208932

plus the release notes for the beta states that the drivers were improved through "Substitut(ing) slower IDE drivers for faster libata drivers"

Hi Robbie,

Thank you for the information, my point in my previous post was to make it clear to others that the problem is not OS related but hardware as in drivers related.

I understand the driver substitution as Eraser came up against a similar problem when trying to erase free space when in safe mode.

As for “freezing” I think some users are mistaking slow for freezing. Writing a 35 pass (unnecessary in my opinion) to a large drive using very basic drivers will give the impression of freezing but it actually hasn’t.

The new DBAN beta seems much better, I can only hope development will continue.

Thanks. :wink:

yeah, I think the mention I made of the different OS's was a bit of a red herring as DBAN doesn't care whether the OS is Vista, XP, Win 98, 95 or Linux since to DBAN the OS and all its related files and folders is just data on a disk, just as if it were an mp3 or jpeg file. DBAN just sees the hard drive, not the data on it, so any problems running DBAN are (I assume) related to whether the drivers in DBAN are compatible with the make of hard drive - the Beta version of DBAN contains better drivers to help DBAN run better. When I ran the last stable release of DBAN (v1.0.7) on my laptop it didn't really freeze, it just ran at a (very, very slow) crawl. Using the Beta, DBAN ran without any problems and was nice and quick.

I just hope that the Beta version is further developed so that we eventually get a new stable version, presumably v1.0.8. Looking at the other DBAN forum I can't see any further development happening at the moment. I just hope the project hasn't been put on the back burner as there will still be problems that even the Beta hasn't addressed (and the Beta is flagged as an unstable version with a number of acknowledged problems in its release notes, one of which relates to slow verification passes).

Hi Robbie,

If you are desperate to wipe some of your drives there are some commercial options available, I have used some of them myself with good results.

I just use DBAN whenever I'm selling a computer or like at present when I'm doing a reinstall. For the latter I've no real reason to use DBAN but I just like the idea of having a blank drive before I do an install.

Back