Getting cyclic redundancy error

cardician

Trying to erase an old hard drive of mine. Did some research and your program seems well regarded. So I downloaded it and tried to delete one of my drives. The process just errors out and gives me the following Log message:

Session: Saturday, April 09, 2011 1:21:51 AM
Saturday, April 09, 2011 1:22:17 AM Error Data error (cyclic redundancy check).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Otherwise I guess your product won't work for me. Thanks.

This seems to indicate some failure with the hard disk subsystem. Can you check the drive (with chkdsk) and fix errors before running Eraser again? We'll debug further if that doesn't eliminate the problem.

Yes the hard drive is dying and does have some issue. I was hoping the drive would be able to be erased regardless as I'm planning on disposing of it since it is dying. Alright, well thank you for your time.

DBAN may be slightly better at this, since it doesn't run off an operating system. If you want to go lower level, try http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml, but that's a rather advanced tool.

If the disk is about to fail anyway, perhaps you may just wanna throw it into a shredder... or let it go under the (pen)knife or the (sledge)hammer... :p

Back