How do i get to root of drive?

plastichead

How do i get to root of drive? (i am missing 3 gig of harddrive space)
i guess from what i have read i need to delete ~ERAFSWD.TMP, but i can't find it anywhere.

From the Eraser FAQ:

After running Eraser, the free space on my drive was lost or reduced noticeably. How can I fix this?
Option 1:
Untick cluster tips in Eraser preferences and select a one pass option and run Eraser again. This should return your full freespace allocation.

Option 2:
It could be that either Eraser was terminated abnormally or the system crashed causing the temporary files to be lodged there and the temp Folder (~ERAFSWD.TMP) may have used up your diskspace. You can remove the folder “~ERAFSWD.TMP” and all the files in it to reclaim the disk space
How to find the ~ERAFSWD.TMP Folder to erase it:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Click on View->Options and Show Hidden Files.
Run a Find.
3. If found Erase it.
If you wish to use the command prompt you can type “deltree X:\~ERAFSWD.TMP”, where X is the drive letter

Option 3:
1. Run ScanDisk.
2. Using File Finder in Windows, look for files that were changed around the date/time you ran Eraser. This may find ~ERAFSWD.TMP.
3. Erase it.

Option 4:
Turn off System Restore in System Control Panel applet
How to turn on/off System Restore in ME
1. Right click the My Computer icon on the Desktop and click on Properties.
2. Click on the Performance tab.
3. Click on the File System button.
4. Click on the Troubleshooting tab.
5. Put a check mark next to 'Disable System Restore'.
6. Click the 'OK' button.
7. You will be prompted to restart the computer. Click Yes.
8. Re-enable the Restore Utility, follow steps one to seven and on step five remove the check mark next to 'Disable System Restore'.
9. Reboot again.

If you bought your PC with the OS installed, you may want to check how your drive is partitioned. 3 GB happens to be the typical size for a hidden FAT32 partition in which an OEM OS backup is stored.

Back