How long should I give this?

brewski

I just downloaded the latest version, created a DBAN floppy and popped it into my Pentuim with a whopping 32 meg ram and 40 gb drive. Things seem to go well up to: Uncompression Linux... Ok, booting the kernel. Please wait..." I've given this a few hours. The floppy is spinning, but it sure sounds like nothing is happening.

I tried the verbose but got the message: verbose is not an image.

Help is greatly appreciated.

brewski said:
Things seem to go well up to: Uncompression Linux... Ok, booting the kernel. Please wait..." I've given this a few hours.

it should only take a few seconds to boot the kernel, then take you to the screen where you configure DBAN.

are you able to burn to CD, because iv heard floppys are notorious

Ok, the instructions say how to create a CD:
"Place a floppy (or CD) in your a: drive."

Not only is this not physical possibility, but on my laptop with no floppy, the dropdown gives no option for another drive.

Any good instructions for creating a DBAN bootable CD?

you have not said what your operating system is,

i found this freeware for windows users!

Download Alex Feinman's ISO Recorder Power Toy from
http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

*Note- Make sure if you are using SP2 to download the SP2 version of the software.

After installation, you should be required to reboot your machine.

Step 2:
Right click the .iso file and select "Copy Image to CD". The ISO record window should come up.

Step 3:
Select the drive in which the blank CD is located in, then select "Next".
The CD should begin to record

For more help, or a step by step tutorial explaining the software, refer to http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/

OK, so we all know, I am running XP sp2.

I have created a few DBAN floppies and they all load to the point of: "Ok, booting kernal..."

So, following your advice, I have now created a cd.

It does the same darn thing, only faster. The machine I'm trying to erase the hard drive on is a P1.

Any other advice?

Wait a minute, wait just one minute!!

I finally went straight to the DBAN site which mentioned a very interesting point. The darn program will not work if there is a ZIP drive installed.

Guess what I have.

I unplugged the power to the zip, and PRESTO, this thing worked...I think.

The message said completed with errors.

I won't boot, that's a start.

The log file states the following:
"
DBAN finished with non-fatal errors. The disks were not properly wiped, or there were verification errors.
"

Back