How secure?

thunderlips

Well I DID try it and you are full of shit. I created a test .jpeg file, and erased it with one pass pseudorandom data. Revover4all did not even show it had been there! The documentation included with Recover4all actually ADMITS that overwritten data cannot be revovered by software.

Well,I`m not planning anything illegal,but would be interested to know from anyone who has knowledge of the forensic/security services techniques used to examine computer hard drives,just how far down the "secure" route Eraser can go. To put it simply-we know it`s good,but how good? I read that just two or three passes with Eraser will defeat all but the CIA in one case,but in another, the local forces of law and order can read all if required,even tho many multiple overwrites were performed! Also,is the software(if maybe not the hardware) to forensically analyse a "wiped" disc available to the less desirable elements in our society,and thus how careful,if we have really confidential matter,should we be when erasing?
BTW,I`m curious from a common sense level-not paranoia. Thanks!

I don't know of anyone able to retrieve information that has been erased even 1 time. Usually Eraser writes over information 3-7 times. Most law enforcement cannot afford the technology or personnel to try to look at magnetic traces, and even if they did, it would be in extreme cases like national security. There is typically a backlog of disks they scan looking for illegal stuff (unless they are after documents or emails and then they need someone skilled enough to go in looking for the information).

Practically speaking, any disk that you will be selling or giving away should be "nuked" with DBAN. This will ensure that no data will be recoverable from the disk. If you are afraid of it being stolen, use disk encryption or file encryption as another layer of protection.

Eraser should be used when you want to removed any files you don't want others to be able to retrieve. Also erase your unused space periodically. This is simply a matter of privacy, not paranoia or crime.

not safe

anyone can restore data that was "erased" with eraser. the simple tool recover4all restores each time some of the data eraser claimed that it was erased. try it and u gonna see...

Ok, I did. I am using a Windows XP system. I put a 2KB JPG file into a folder and deleted it normally. I ran Recover4all and it found it and recovered it (though the recovered file was corrupt).

I placed another 2KB JPG file with a different name into the folder and ran Eraser on it using the 1 pass method. Recover4all didn't find any trace of the erased file.

You said "u gonna see". I saw that recover4all didn't find any evidence of a file erased with the most basic setting in Eraser. Your claim is simply false.

Back