I want to erase my whole HD (including OS)...some questions

A

Anonymous

Hi,

my old computer has slowed down so much, that I want to erase everything from its 20 Gb HD. The question is: if I erase everything using "Eraser" can I then easily re-install the OS (Win98) into my computer? Is this safe? Do you have any other suggestions?

I appreciate any help you might be able to offer!

Cheers! :)

That is kind of drastic. Have you tried the following:

1. Close all open applications.
2. Clearing ALL of your temp folders.
3. Disable your screensaver.
4. Perform a defrag of all your drives.
5. Reboot when finished. (Very important)

Now see if things have improved.

Thanks for your answer! I know what you are saying...but it seems to me to be a quite easy option. I have namely also a newer PC. I am in the process of cleaning th eold one so that my parents could use it easily and to instal there only the most basic programmes they need to get to the Internet and so.

But no, I have not tried what you suggested. There is also that problem, that when I got this PC (I mean the older one) I did not know that much about computers. For example defraging was something totally unknown to me. The consequence is that my PC simly won't defrag the HD at all.

So, I could try 1, 2, 3 and 5. But if I want to start it all over again from a clean table, I would assume it would be the easiest just to remove everything and then re-install only what I need.

Any other suggestions?

Anonymous said:
But no, I have not tried what you suggested. There is also that problem, that when I got this PC (I mean the older one) I did not know that much about computers. For example defraging was something totally unknown to me. The consequence is that my PC simly won't defrag the HD at all.

Any other suggestions?

I personally have yet to see a computer that can't / won't defrag. However you may be running headlong into a Win9x ( Win95 / Win98 / ME ) bug. This bug caused scandisk and defrag to quit , or just not do there jobs , if there was another memory / disk hogging program active in memory.

Also I would edit his suggestions just slightly:

1. Close all open applications.
2. Clearing ALL of your temp folders.
3. Disable your screensaver.
4. Run ScanDisk ( Defrag will not run if disk errors are found, and errors are on the disk but defrag does not find them it could lead to file corroption so scan and fix the errors now.)
5. Perform a defrag of all your drives.
6. Reboot when finished. (Very important)

Also, try Defrag in the Safe Mode if it keeps starting over and Defrag won't complete. To get into the Safe Mode restart Windows and keep pressing F5 over and over. Run a Standard Scan Disk, then Defrag and then restart your PC. In the Safe Mode there are no drivers or other programs in memory so Defrag is able to run smoother. :idea:

Thank you so much! I will try your suggestions asap and return for more questions if those won't help.

Me To

Me to mine won't that the sytem restore won't work either even if you reformat with the restore disc that came with it.

Back