If you use Windows BitLocker, do you need Eraser anymore?

nLinked

Eraser's purpose is to overwrite files to make them virtually unrecoverable. If you have BitLocker Drive Encryption enabled, is there a need to still use Eraser on that drive?

I mean, if the entire drive is already in an encrypted form, and I delete a file normally, can it still be recovered by the usual means if the drive is encrypted anyway?

If your encryption key is stolen, yes the data can still be recoverable. The drive will then be as good as unencrypted.

Joel

Joel said:
If your encryption key is stolen, yes the data can still be recoverable. The drive will then be as good as unencrypted.

Joel
So if I use a recovery program while BitLocker is enabled, I can get the file back normally through traditional recovery means?

Yes. The BitLocker drive will appear as a normal unencrypted drive to the recovery program.

Joel

I always erase the free space in my Truecrypt volumes. As Joel said when someone has the encryption key data recovery programs work just the same.

My theory is that if my key is compromised leave the bad guys with as little information as possible and that includes the previously deleted data in my encrypted volumes.

Does anyone know of any recovery programs that Eraser effectively blocks that program from recovering my data (preferable one that works while using Windows)? It should also be effective at recovering data when I don't use Eraser to shred a file.

Basically just want something for testing. A program that runs on Windows and recovers files successfully when Eraser hasn't been used.

Back