Immediate crash on start up

NemesisX

both the previous, and latest Eraser builds crash on start up and give me the following message

Eraser has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Pleas tell Microsoft about this problem.

I am running WindowsXP SP3

A few other programs I use are also giving me a similar message.

While this can have several causes, the most likely one is that there is a problem with your Task List. Find the file Task List.ersx (probable path: %USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Eraser6\Task List.ersx), delete that, and try to restart Eraser.

David

Some 6.1 development builds also had an unrelated problem with similar symptoms. This is fixed in build 2016 and later, but most users should for the present stick with the current stable version (6.0.7).

David

That happened to fix it. The same error happened when I recently installed Windows 7 Ultimate and the deletion of that file also solved the issue.

Thanks for the help.

Glad it worked. There are two issues the action can fix:

• the Task List sometimes gets corrupted, and the program crashes when it tries to read it;
  • 6.1 Task Lists are not compatible with 6.0 builds.
In the longer term, I think that Joel plans that the Task List will be written in XML, which IMO will me a significant improvement in terms of both reliability and maintainability.

David

Back