Is a file moved to a USB drive recoverable in hard drive?

melinus

I've been trying to find the "Tutorial" which was mentioned to be a pdf file but could not. Can't find downloadable "Quick Guide" either. My question is if I move a file like Word or Excel from the hard drive to a USB drive, is that file then securely removed from the hard drive or should I still be concerned? If yes, how do I fix that since I will no longer be able to find it in the hard drive? Sorry, naive question.

Re: Is a file moved to a USB drive recoverable in hard drive

To me, moving is just the same concept as deleting, only, the file is pasted elsewhere after deleting. You need to run the program if you want that file not being able to be recovered I guess.

Thanks for your reply, Kuerten. Guess I'm kind of disappointed not to hear from some of the moderators or support people, i.e., Eraser "experts." I realize that they're all volunteers with their own busy lives, and they certainly provide a valuable service here. Haven't been back to this board in a while, but it seems that the interest level, judging by the number of posts, has been dwindling. That's kind of sad because Eraser is such a wonderful free program, but folks like me do feel more secure using it if there's more active support. Hopefully, this will change.

Thanks, again.

If you are using secure move it should get transferred correctly.

Thanks for your reply, Garrett, but I'm not very computer literate. So, I don't understand what you mean by using a "secure move" and that it should get transferred correctly. My concern is if I move a file--from Windows Explorer to a USB drive--is that file recoverable on the hard drive from a security point of view since I won't be able to "erase" it after I do the move?

Appreciate your help.

When you do secure move eraser will copy the file and erase the original. If you really want to be safe you can empty the recycle bin and do a free space erase to wipe any temporary files created by the application you may have used to edit the file.

Sorry to be so dense, but how do I do a "secure move?"

Thanks.

right click on the file and select "secure move"

Thanks a lot...especially for your patience.

Back