Is Eraser still under active development?

kfreels

I'm not seeing a lot of activity on that end. The last build I see is July of last year. It's been almost 2 years since 6.0 rolled out and still no secure move functionality. I see a little activity on this site but it appears to be users, not developers. Any clues what's going on? Is Eraser dead?

No its not dead, we still maintain it and the priority now is on keeping things stable.

garrett01 said:
No its not dead, we still maintain it and the priority now is on keeping things stable.
So is there any plan to get the "secure move" and other lost functionality back? I'm trying to figure out why in the world I would use this newer version when the previous version did everything I wanted to do. Is there some major security flaw in the previous version that makes it less capable of doing the job?

I loved Eraser on XP but now I am on Win7 64 bit it no longer works giving the 'completed with errors' message. An update would really be appreciated and I am happy to beta test. Is this issue being addressed? Thanks JW

Turn off UAC or run as administrator to reduce the 'completed with errors' probability.

>>So is there any plan to get the "secure move" and other lost functionality back?
What other lost functionality do you refer to?

I did a recompile of the old pure C++ version and am seeing what functionality is missing from the new 6.0 series.
You can download it yourself from here: http://files.denizon.com/Eraser 5.8.9_setup.exe

What I am waiting for is the implementation of a confirmation request when erasing via the Windows context menu. This was a capability in Eraser 5, it disappeared with Eraser 6. To protect me from accidentally erasing a file, I have disabled the context menu.

Equally important is the ability that existed in Eraser 5 to select the erasure method from the confirmation request.

DERoss said:
What I am waiting for is the implementation of a confirmation request when erasing via the Windows context menu. This was a capability in Eraser 5, it disappeared with Eraser 6. To protect me from accidentally erasing a file, I have disabled the context menu.

^This, and secure move.
I really miss those features. It's way to easy to accidentally shred a file when you meant to do something else. It's a pretty aggressive thing to perform without a confirmation dialog.

I assume that on the same drive it just makes a change to the the MFT or something with no duplication of data to be erased.
Moving between drives I just make it two steps. Copy the data and then erase the old location. The context options would be nice though.

Is Win7 x64 compatibility otherwise pretty good. I just installed that on a system and have been hesitant to reinstall Eraser.

Back