Less free space after erase unused disk space?!?!

A

Anonymous

Hi,

ran an erase-unused-disk-space on one of my harddrives and after eraser was finished, the free space on that drive was decreased from ~4.6GB to ~3.8GB. Since I didn't use any other programs during the run, I'm wondering if maybe eraser forces the file system to allocate more disk space for the same amount of data, increasing the "size on disk" as you see it in the properities of a file.

I have WinXP with NTFS fs.

Also my network didn't work after erasing unused disk space and the open pages in my Opera browser (which was running (idle) during the run) suddenly had e.g. blank characters in some cases: no visible letters but I was still able to select the text -> resulting in inverted blocks with again no visible chars. On other pages, images were missing.

AND NO, background entropy polling was disabled!!!!!

kthxbye

You will need to look for a folder called ~ERAFSWD.TMP. This folder will have used up your diskspace. You can remove the “~ERAFSWD.TMP” folder and all the files in it to reclaim the disk space.

How to find the ~ERAFSWD.TMP Folder to erase it:
1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Click on View->Options and Show Hidden Files.
Run a Find.
3. If found Erase it.
If you wish to use the command prompt you can type “deltree X:\~ERAFSWD.TMP”, where X is the drive letter

OR

1. Run ScanDisk.
2. Using File Finder in Windows, look for files that were changed around the date/time you ran Eraser. This may find it.
3. Erase it.

If that doesn't work then try the following:
1. Turn off System Restore in System Control Panel applet
2. Reboot
3. Turn Restore back on
4. Reboot again.

More help is available on our FAQ section http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/faq.php

Garrett

Back