Missing HD space after freespace wipe

keesa

Win XP Pro SP2
Eraser 5.86.1
Last night I left Eraser to run Schneier's 7 pass freespace wipe on c:\ overnight.
I included cluster tips and alternate data streams, I told it to shut down when finished.
I stopped all unnecessary services before running Eraser and I had 1.1gb free space when I fired it up.
This AM laptop was off, started it up, had 50mb free.
I have no ~ERAFSWD.TMP on the c:\ drive and I have no 1gb mystery files.

Anybody have any ideas for me?

Schneier's 7 pass used for a freespace wipe would take more time than over night(you should use 1 pass of Pseudoradom Data, you can up the number of passes but that would take much more time), you don't meantion HD size. You system might have been interrupted by something at the start of the erasing process (if you stop all unnessary processes you wouldn't have interuptions) so there wouldn't be a ~ERAFSWD.TMP folder made yet.
I stopped all unnecessary services
You should stop all unnessary processes, not unnessary services. Use the Windows Task manager, to do this press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Click on the processes tab highlight the processes one by one then click "END PROCESS" button at the bottom of the page. The processes will come back on reboot of the computer.

Freespace after wipe

Carver said:
Schneier's 7 pass used for a freespace wipe would take more time than over night(you should use 1 pass of Pseudoradom Data, you can up the number of passes but that would take much more time), you don't meantion HD size. You system might have been interrupted by something at the start of the erasing process (if you stop all unnessary processes you wouldn't have interuptions) so there wouldn't be a ~ERAFSWD.TMP folder made yet.
It's an old laptop with a 10gb drive, 1.1gb free (before wipe). Schneier's should be able to do a gig in 8 hours. I guess, I dunno. I could understand an interruption but, as you say, there's no ~ERAFSWD.TMP. If Schneier's did take longer than overnight I should have found it still running in the AM - it wasn't, it did the shutdown.
You should stop all unnessary processes, not unnessary services. Use the Windows Task manager, to do this press Ctrl + Alt + Delete. Click on the processes tab highlight the processes one by one then click "END PROCESS" button at the bottom of the page. The processes will come back on reboot of the computer.
I phrased that poorly, I did stop processes via Task Manager; turned off everything Windows would allow. But I also killed services such as AV, Wireless Zero Config, DHCP, Windows Audio, etc.

Back