My PCwon't start .

Which files did you erase? And what is your OS and Eraser version, please?

When you say, won't start, how far in the startup process does it get? is there any sign that Windows is at least beginning to boot? And is your PC a laptop or a branded desktop?

David

I useWindows XP Home Version ...Eraser Version is 6.0.8. I wiped the deleted files in the free space ( says it does not affect existing files ) I have a Dell PC ( DESK TOP )

When I power up, the Windows logo appears to be loading for 7 sec, a bluescreen will then appear for a short second
with something about memory, then the screen goes black for about 15sec and the process begins again.

Thanks David, I'm still kind of a rookie with this stuff and really appreciate your interest in helping me out.

regards

Ian

DavidHB said:
Which files did you erase? And what is your OS and Eraser version, please?

When you say, won't start, how far in the startup process does it get? is there any sign that Windows is at least beginning to boot? And is your PC a laptop or a branded desktop?

David

Re: My PC won't start .

There is nothing in Eraser that could directly cause these symptoms, though erasing free space inevitably works the drive quite hard, and that can bring on a failure that was going to happen anyway. However, in your case, that's not my first guess about the cause. Even so, your description does makes it sound more like a hardware than a software issue.

If the message is about RAM, you may have a memory chip that has failed; presumably your machine is now a few years old. Or it could be as simple as a chip that is not properly seated in its slot. What you need is a friend who can do some on-the-spot diagnosis. The starting point for that is the precise text of the blue screen message, and in particular the long error code.

I'm sorry that, at this distance, I cannot be of more help.

David

Is there a way that I can freeze the blue screeen so it can be read?....it comes and goes so fast.

Thanks again.

glongcatz said:
Is there a way that I can freeze the blue screen so it can be read?....it comes and goes so fast.
Don't I know it! And the only absolutely certain way of doing it is to change a Windows setting ... from within Windows. Duh!

If your XP is SP2 or later, try pressing F8 as soon as the BIOS hands over to Windows (as if you were trying to start in Safe Mode). If that works, you will get the menu of alternative startups, which, if, Windows has remembered that something is wrong, should give you a “Disable automatic restart on system failure” option. If it doesn't but you have the menu, try booting into Safe Mode anyway. If you can boot into Safe Mode, that (probably) knocks my hardware idea on the head, and the problem will then be either with a driver or one of the startup problems. But the BSOD message is still likely to be the best pointer.

David

...from experience, nothing beats a camera. Get ready your camera (pre-focus if necessary), trigger the BSoD, and trigger the shutter as it happens.

Nice! I like that idea! So that's what you do with 40D of yours ... :)

David

It seems to have rubbed off my family members now... nothing is more of a sight to behold than seeing relatives holding an iPhone to capture a BSoD...

(oh, the irony)

Back