Network erase

Ik

Hi

I'm helping out in a non profit organisation that gives computers for free to schools. We are looking for a system that will do a network erase, collect hardware information and install software automatically. Read on DBAN homepage that parts of these functions are planed in the future and are in alpha stage. Any ideas when this will be released? Or if there is another open source software solutions out there that will do the job.

best regards

Any ideas when this will be released?
Not soon, if at all.

Or if there is another open source software solutions out there that will do the job.
I do not know about any other packaged solution. It is likely that your best choice would be to build something yourself from existing open source tools.

you shoul consider using PXE boot loader, reseach it then set up a suitable tftp server with an image of DBAN on it. Then do the same for an xp instaltion. If you have a server running windows server 2003, it supports a thing called RIS which is remote install server.
hope this helps
larry

Can you shed any more light on getting dban to work via PXE? I've gotten it to start up, but I get a kernel panic. Obviously I've got a wrong setting somewhere...

Thanks.

-Pete

Back