Newbie questions about Eraser...

EraserAlpha

Hello all... I'm new to these boards as well as Eraser. So far I love it. I did a psuedorandom 1 erasure on a jump drive and used R Studio and Easy Recovery to find the files and, well, it did find files... But one's that didn't make sense, weird extensions, sizes all the same in some cases, different in others, so I'm assuming that is what the goal of this program is to do.

So so far so good... But I am curious, as I've seen smatterings of this in other threads, has there been any recovery programs out there that have been able to recover or undo a psuedorandom 1 pass?

Also, and I know you've dealt with this recently Joel, (By the way, hi Joel, don't mean to be so personal so quick but I have read a lot of your helpful hints and I am using your program:) I've tried to take out my Firefox cookies and the like but haven't been able too... In that, I go to Docs N settings \ app data \ moz \ firefox \ profiles \ bunch of #'s \ and from there I'm not able to find the necessary files or strings that you've wrote about in your advice to the other posters.

I'm fully aware that its probably looking me in the face, but if you don't mind, could you help out this psudeo random user of your program?:}

EraserAlpha said:
Hello all... I'm new to these boards as well as Eraser. So far I love it. I did a psuedorandom 1 erasure on a jump drive and used R Studio and Easy Recovery to find the files and, well, it did find files... But one's that didn't make sense, weird extensions, sizes all the same in some cases, different in others, so I'm assuming that is what the goal of this program is to do.
Indeed.

EraserAlpha said:
So so far so good... But I am curious, as I've seen smatterings of this in other threads, has there been any recovery programs out there that have been able to recover or undo a psuedorandom 1 pass?
Not yet, I haven't been shown one that conclusively proved that one single pass is insufficient to destroy your data. I guess the government agencies which are well funded could, but still, nothing publicly known as of yet (or no one has yet told me of such an event.)

EraserAlpha said:
Also, and I know you've dealt with this recently Joel, (By the way, hi Joel, don't mean to be so personal so quick but I have read a lot of your helpful hints and I am using your program:) I've tried to take out my Firefox cookies and the like but haven't been able too... In that, I go to Docs N settings \ app data \ moz \ firefox \ profiles \ bunch of #'s \ and from there I'm not able to find the necessary files or strings that you've wrote about in your advice to the other posters.
What version of Firefox are you using?

Joel

Back