No Win 7 integration...neither version appears in context.

worksong

New PC running Win 7 64. Installed Eraser 6.06.1376 & all seemed fine...but no erase option on right-click.

Uninstalled completely, then installed Eraser 5.8.8...same problem.

I've used Eraser v. 5 [& earlier] for years & never had this difficulty. How can I integrate into shell? Can't load whole program every time I want to lose 1 file or folder...

Thanks.

UPDATE: As an afterthought, I downloaded & installed Eraser 5.7. Context works fine.

I'm comfortable using that for now...but anyone know why later versions fail, or if there will be a fix?

Could you run Dependency Walker (www.dependencywalker.com) on Shellext.dll (in C:\Windows\System32) and see if all dependencies are there? You could just take a screenshot if the screen doesn't make sense to you.

I am also using 6.0.6.1376 with Win 7 and I have no context menu in the windows shell (my checkbox is marked, and I have re-booted computer). I appreciate your support whenever you have time, thanks in advance! Stephen

Could you do the same step, but instead, looking at C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.Shell.dll and see if there are any missing dependencies.

I did not find a file called Eraser.Shell.dll in C:\Program Files\Eraser, however I ran Dependency Walker on the following files with the following results:

Eraser.Manager.dll, and Eraser.Util.dll
GPSVC.DLL Error opening file, the system cannot file the file specified(2)
IESHIMS.DLL Error opening file, the system cannot file the file specified(2)
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

Eraser.Util.FileSystem.dll and Eraser.Util.Unlocker.dll (column CPU had value x86 in red)
GPSVC.DLL Error opening file, the system cannot file the file specified(2)
IESHIMS.DLL Error opening file, the system cannot file the file specified(2)
Error: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in an implicitly dependent module.
Error: Modules with different CPU types were found.
Warning: At least one delay-load dependency module was not found.
Warning: At least one module has an unresolved import due to a missing export function in a delay-load dependent module.

Hi,
I am also using 6.0.6.1376 with Win 7 64-Bit and I have a similar problem.
I have the context menu in the windows shell (my checkbox is marked, and I have re-booted computer) and it works with just erasing. But if I want to "Erase secure move" the entry in the context menu is existing but doesn't work.
What should I do for troubleshooting?
TIA

Although build 1376 is billed as the stable version, there are plenty of reports that it doesn't run well (or at all) under Windows 7 x64; that was certainly my experience. It is better to try a recent nightly build from the downloads page.

Version 6 is still work in progress, and is not as stable as version 5.x was under XP. Vista and now Windows 7 have changed the OS ground rules, and I would not advise running version 5.x under Windows 7, so we have to live with Version 6 in the hope that it will become progressively more stable. At least its basic functions seem to work.

David

Since people mention that Eraser.Shell.dll isn't around, you guys would probably try uninstalling Eraser and reinstalling it.

Hi,
the Eraser.Shell.dll always existed on my Computer. I tested the nightly build Eraser 6.1.0.1877 but that doesn't help. Erasing with right click-menu is no problem but moving and erasing with the right-click-context-menu is not possible, because the Eraser-entry is there but I can't select anything.
As you mentioned above I used dependencywalker on Eraser.Shell.dll (version Eraser 6.1.0.1877) and took a screenshot. I hope this helps you locate the problem. By now the important features are working so there is no hurry but it where great if there is time to get it fixed in a future version.
Thanks in advice.

Attachments

• Eraser.Shell.dll_1877.PNG
    206.9 KB · Views: 3,094
It works for you -- your behaviour is correct. There is no secure move function yet (in 6.0) The others don't even have an Eraser submenu.

@Joel

Thank you for this information.
As I wrote above, I'm going on, using this great tool and I'll wait until you have the time to implement the "erase secure move" feature in Eraser 6.x

Greetings

6.2 seems to be the target milestone; the secure move depends on a few architectural changes for it to be possible.

Re: No Win 7 integration...neither version appears in contex

I too am missing the context menu entry and I see no sign of Shell.dll.
I selected "complete" for installation, have the requisite check-box checked,
and am running version 6.

Any idea why it's not in the context menu? Or know of a way to manually add it?

tkx, Greg

Try getting the Dependency Walker (google it) and load Eraser.Shell.dll inside your Eraser install directory. See if any errors come up (or post a screenshot if you are unsure)

I did as you suggested, got errors, got a screenshot, have attached it below.

Attachments

• ScreenShot010.jpg
    ScreenShot010.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 619

That's strange. I'm surprised you get these errors. Did you use the Eraser installer?

In any case, to resolve your problem, install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=2051a0c1-c9b5-4b0a-a8f5-770a549fd78c and install the correct version for your OS. Reboot and see if that resolves your problem. If that doesn't work, install http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...75-3B97-4AB7-A40D-3802B2AF5FC2&displaylang=en for x86 or http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...CA-337F-4B40-8C14-157CFDFFEE4E&displaylang=en for x64.

Yes I used the Eraser installer.

I'll try your suggestions and report back.

Thanks!

ps: My installation is a relatively fresh/vanilla Windows 7 system.

Your first link fixed it, even before rebooting!

Thanks very much, Greg

FYI: Eraser seems to work now, and is integrated into Windows Explorer.

However, Dependency Walker still reports two errors (below).

Should I worry about that?

tkx, Greg

Attachments

• ScreenShot012.jpg
    ScreenShot012.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 601
Back