Outlook express

I am trying to erase Outlook express files. I followed the path: C:windowsprofilesxxxxapplication dataidentities{8A7BC380-FDDo_11D6-9734-AF5B06536E39}microsoftoutlook express*.dbx. I manually erased individual files (7 passes)including inbox,outbox,deleted,sent,and all the mail client files with the same names (Hotmail-sent items.dbx) etc. When I restarted and opened OE, I found the folders there. Upon opening the individual files with a text editor, all the data was still there. I dragged every one of those files to the recycle bin and erased the bin, 7 passes again. When I reopened OE, the files are still there. Are these stored elsewhere and being re-written? My OS is win98, OE version is 6.0. What is going on here? The eraser report says it was sucessful, but the files are still there and quite readable.

garrett01

Administrator
Staff member
Are you certain you erased your own pst files? each account stores its own pst files. Search the drive for *.pst

Was outlook shutdown at the time and did eraser report a completed erase?

Garrett

Outlook express was not running at the time. The eraser report stated it was sucessful, listing total kbs erased and no failures every time. Searched with *.pst. Didnt find any files with .pst. All the OE files were .bdx. Is there another file type that could be an alternate storage location (.dat)? Noticed you said "outlook". Are we talking about the same program?

garrett01

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry I meant *.dbx. Did you try file find (Win+f) and search all drives.

The files just have to be there somewhere if you have all your emails intact.

Garrett

Found another entire set of .dbx in separate user profile. When I erased, the files appear again, but are unreadable, Appears to be just system info. Now I just need to figure out how they ended up in another profile and why the interaction with mine. Its not the other users doing.

Use this efficient, fast and reliable DBX to PST converter. It finds and scans your DBX files for any errors and repairs them. Recover your lost files and imporatnt data instantly. You can preview files before conversion and select files that you want. It supports MS Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007 and compatible with windows operating system.