Partitions

A

Anonymous

Im not really computer literate, ive got a few questions. I know how to change the passes, rounds etc, but I dont know anything bout partitions. Theres a part where it says disks and partitions, where if i press space or enter it changes to say "wipe" next to disk and a few asterixs appear next to where it says partitions. Should these b there? If i dont touch a thing at all will it wipe all partitions?

So i want it to say wipe next to disk, and the asterixs next to partitions? I dont think that was the default. I think it said nothing next to disk and partitions when the space bar wasnt pressed. Tks for the swift reply.

I probably didnt phrase that proparly. On that screen where it says disks and partitions if the space bar is pressed it changes to say wipe next to disk and the asterixs are next to partitions. When nothing is presses wipe and the asterixs arent there. So which one is the one I want? Or does it not matter?

Typically, you will choose the disk or partition that you want to wipe by using the space bar. A disk will have one or more partitions. Selecting a disk will wipe all the partitions on that disk. You can choose to only wipe a partition.

A partition is usually the same thing as a drive letter. For example, one hard drive could be divided into C:, D:, and E: If you choose to wipe the disk, all those partitions go away in the process. Or you can choose to wipe the contents of just one of them. Figuring out which one is which is the most tricky part.

Ok.. What i see at that part is.

(IDE 0,0,0,-,-) Maxtor 6Y060L0
(IDE 0,0,0,-,1) Partition

Does this mean ive got one partition? If i press space to select both the top part and bottom part will that wipe all partitions and drives?

Sorry to b a pain :wink: but whats the equivalent number of passes and rounds with PRNG to DOD m standard wipe

Also, how secure does the DOD m wipe make things? Does this pretty much clear eveything, bar an expensive microscope or something being used?

The DOD method will erase data to the point where only someone with a lot of time, money, expertise, and expensive equipment would be able to get bits of the "original" back.

I've done disk images after various stages of deleting and erasure and once the files were erased, they didn't exist as far as I was able to detect with a hex editor and using a file recovery program that uses file headers and footers to recover data.

Hackers and police typically don't have the funding etc mentioned above to pursue recovery beyond these methods.

Yep said:

Does this mean ive got one partition? If i press space to select both the top part and bottom part will that wipe all partitions and drives?

Sorry to b a pain :wink: but whats the equivalent number of passes and rounds with PRNG to DOD m standard wipe

Tks, can I pester u for the top part answer b4 i asked about the dod thing? Dis question at the top is the only answer i need now. Thanks.

This is the part I meant. If i could an answer to this id b really grateful.

Yes, what you posted shows the whole disk first and then any partitions on the disk. In this case it only shows one partition.

Back