plausible deniability

ccox

I've been using an old version of eraser for years and love it. My version didn't have the option: Replace erased files with the following files to allow plausible deniability. Having never used this option I looking for suggestions as to the best type of data and or folders to use with the option. Sorry for the newbie question but I have searched the FAQs and not found an answer to this.

'Plausible deniability' is a legal term. The concept is of a denial that is plausible and therefore cannot (without other evidence) be disproved in a court of law. In the present case, the intent is to disguise the fact that Eraser has been used by using (deleted) copies of files that are already on the computer to overwrite the files that are being erased.

As I use Eraser only to protect my own legitimate interests, I have no reason to disguise the fact that I use it, and therefore do not use the plausible deniability feature. I can imagine circumstances in which it could be used legitimately. However, as those circumstances would be ones in which the hard drive in question might be the subject of detailed forensic investigation, they are probably not relevant to the great majority of Eraser users.

Eraser 5 used system files to make files plausibly deniable. Eraser 6 removed that, because it would be weird to find system files on a data-only drive, for example, so it requires you to pick files for Eraser to use. Any file will do, just bear in mind that those are just decoy files and it should be "normal" to find those files on disks you intend to erase.

Back