Preconfigured Eraser downloadable .ers Eraser Files?

chs200123

I have been looking through the forums and online to see if anyone has posted any standard importable .ers eraser files that people have configured to go through standard versions of windows to clean up all the junk that gets accumulated over time. Has anyone done this? Would anyone be willing to share their .ers file they made for Vista? I know there are all kinds of directories that windows uses to store unnecessary crap, I just dont know all of them. Maybe the community could piece a master .ers file together that cleans windows up real well.

Thanks.

Well.. whenever I have time in my acadmic year. It'll end by September for the most part, with one week at the end of OCtober being the finale. So after september till December I should be available... we've got a bit of stuff working already. v6 currently can erase most stuff well, the only thing missing is the scheduler and a few stability checks.

Joel

Hi Joel. :)

Joel said:
v6 currently can erase most stuff well, the only thing missing is the scheduler

How about releasing V6 without the scheduler ?

My reasoning is that hopefully this will eliminate many of the problems for V5 users and also be more compatible with Vista.

The testing of the overwrite patterns and their implementation will be possible to a wider audience, earlier. Also should there be any problems, bugs etc I would think it easier to debug as there will be so much less code without the scheduler.

It may allow plug-in writers to start coding sooner.

Sort of a stripped down V6 or V6 lite !

Actually I like the sound of that, a concurrent version of V6 that is somewhat stripped down for people who don’t use the scheduler etc.

What do you think ? :)

Well I haven't really stressed the system yet, so the code is rather simplistic. Of course I won't mind people who would like to join as beta testers, perhaps you could PM me if you're interested.

Plugins... hmm. That won't be too possible as the plugin interfaces haven't really been finalised.

Joel

Perhaps there might be some confusion as to what I was originally asking for. All I'm looking for is an importable .ers file that someone has created that will go through windows and throughly clean up all the trash that gets piled up. Are you saying that the upcoming version, will contain "plugins" that facilitate this function? That is, the Eraser software will be reconfigured to go though windows to clean it up? When would you anticipate that the portable version would be updated as well?

Hi chs200123 :)

chs200123 said:
Perhaps there might be some confusion as to what I was originally asking for.

I understood what you meant.

chs200123 said:
Are you saying that the upcoming version, will contain "plugins" that facilitate this function?

Yes.

chs200123 said:
When would you anticipate that the portable version would be updated as well?

The new version 6 won’t be portable I’m afraid.

Ccleaner will do what you want until Eraser V6 is out, download it here.

chs200123 said:
Why couldn't version 6 become a portable app like all the other versions?

Hi

I believe it is to do with “.net” and running as a service. Joel can probably tell you more.

I believe the first few versions of Eraser won't be a service. It'll be running like it is now. The main reason it can't really be portable is that it requires the .NET framework; so if your computer doesn't have it then you can't really run the program. That prevents full portability.

Of course, since the earlier versions will be a standalone app, after the service version is published we will continue to churn out standalones.

Joel

Joel said:
Of course, since the earlier versions will be a standalone app, after the service version is published we will continue to churn out standalones.

A lot of people are gong to be happy with that statement ! I am asked about this a lot.

chs200123 said:
I have been looking through the forums and online to see if anyone has posted any standard importable .ers eraser files that people have configured to go through standard versions of windows to clean up all the junk that gets accumulated over time. Has anyone done this? Would anyone be willing to share their .ers file they made for Vista? I know there are all kinds of directories that windows uses to store unnecessary crap, I just dont know all of them. Maybe the community could piece a master .ers file together that cleans windows up real well.

Chs,

I've been meaning to do this for a while. I just havn't gotten around to converting my .ers file from hard coded paths to wild cards. The main thing stopping me is being too lazy to set up a VM for testing the .ers.

As suggested by overwriter, if you want to do a system clean up, ccleaner is probably the better choice. eraser .ers' would be more suited to user file clean up, which is going to be a little harder to do as for the most part it's not going to be as portable between users.

Back