Problem after installing Windows 7 SP1, maybe?

Setcho

Hi,

Please can you help. I installed W7 earlier this week and after all the updates I installed Eraser and it was working fine for three days. Anyway due to me playing around with a number of linux distros I had to reinstall windows today and now I can't get Eraser to work. Everytime I try to start Eraser I get an 'Eraser has stopped working' message. The only significant difference between my set up today and the last three days is the W7 SP1 update I installed this morning.

Not sure if this will help but here are the problem details:

Description:
Stopped working

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: eraser.exe
Problem Signature 02: 6.0.8.2273
Problem Signature 03: 4cd2be16
Problem Signature 04: Eraser.Manager
Problem Signature 05: 6.0.8.2273
Problem Signature 06: 4cd2bde0
Problem Signature 07: 258
Problem Signature 08: 2aa
Problem Signature 09: System.TypeInitialization
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 2057

If you need further information please let me know.
Thanks,
Setcho

I have SP1 installed on both my Windows 7 machines, and Eraser is working on those. It is probably best to look at the documented problems first.

In the FAQ you will find a post on common Eraser questions which contains guidance on deleting the Eraser Task List. I suggest that you try this first.

David

Thanks for the reply and I apologise for not checking the FAQ first. Anyway the problem still persists here is what I have tried so far;

I tried the info under 'Eraser is installed correctly, but crashes on startup' (note there is no post attached to the guidance link, should there be?) and found that there is no data related to Eraser in the Local AppData folder, I also checked under HKCU\Software\Eraser and Eraser is not there either. However the program appears to have installed correctly as it is in my start menu, program features and program files. Next I uninstalled, then ran ccleaner for files and registry and deleted everything it found, downloaded another installer from eraser.heidi.ie and tried again but the problem persists. Next I uninstalled again ran a disk check, reinstalled again but it still crashes on start up and there is still nothing in Local AppData or HKCU\Software\Eraser. I also tried installing with UAC on and off and then with both my Firewall and AV turned off and I also tried running Eraser as admin and in compatability mode for xp all without success.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

If there is really nothing related to Eraser 6 in %LOCALAPPDATA% (put that token into a Run Box and press Enter - there should be an Eraser 6 folder containing at least the file Task List.ersx), then Eraser will definitely not run for that reason alone. Please double check and, if you still find nothing, try the 'brute force' re-installation method described in this post.

David

Yes there really is nothing Eraser related in the %LOCALAPPDATA% folder. I agree this is odd, i have added an attachment showing the local appdata folder contents and also showing Eraser installed in Program files.

I tried the brute force method i.e. ran reg cleaners then searched regedit for Eraser entries and deleted them all but the problem still persists. Also you may notice from my screenshot that I'm running Online Armor (I saw the post related to this in the common FAQ) however this isn't the problem as Eraser first stopped working when I had KIS 2011 installed, anyway Eraser seems to install fine in Online Armor learning mode.

Today I'm going to try two things. Firstly i'm going to reinstall KIS 2011 just to see if Eraser is placed in a restricted category during install. Even if it is this restriction shouldn't still be there after its uninstalled but I would like to check it anyway. Secondly, i'm going to reinstall windows 7 again (3rd time this week!) and install Eraser before installing SP1 (like I did when it worked fine for 3 days) just to see if SP1 is part of the problem.

I will let you know what happens in a day or so. Thank you for your help and quick responses.

Attachments

• eraser2.jpg
    eraser2.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 1,219
The only other thing I can suggest is that, if SP1 (or any Windows update) is the problem, then the Windows Update troubleshooting tool may be the way to fix it. It's worth running it in any case, just to be sure; Windows Update can do some strange things on occasions.

David

Hi, all is well with Eraser again :D . Firstly KIS 2011 doesn't place Eraser in a restricted category and secondly I didn't run the the troubleshoot tool as I had already started a reinstall before I saw your post.

After reinstalling W7 the first thing I did was install Eraser and everything worked fine, I then installed all the updates and W7 SP1 and everthing is still working. I don't know if SP1 was part of the problem or not and the only way to be sure would be to reinstall W7 again and then install the updates and SP1 and then install Eraser, which I don't have the time to do.

Anyway thanks for all your help.

If anyone is interested here is a comparison screenshot of the way things should be:

Attachments

• erasersc1.jpg
    erasersc1.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 1,183
This has to be one of those mysteries. Clearly there was some sort of issue with your Windows installation, but we'll never know what it was. That kind of thing has happened a fair number of times to me too. Thanks for reporting back.

David

Same here, I've seen similar crashes before, but never figured out what could cause it. Anyway, glad it all works... I need to reinstall Win7 myself too.

Back