Problem with Computer Shutting Down

Trooper140

Re: Problem with Computer Shutting Down
Sent: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:56 am
by DavidHB

Sorry to be a pain, but could you please repost this on the Support forum proper. The idea of an open forum is that knowledge is shared. I try to respond to forum posts reasonably quickly, but cannot make the same promise for PMs.

David
Quote Trooper140 Problem with Computer Shutting Down
Sent: Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:01 am
by Trooper140

DavidHB-
Thanks for all you posts concerning issues with us inexperienced computer users. Your posts and advice have helped me get Eraser re-installed after Vista crashed on me last year. However, in one of your post about year ago, in order for the error that I had to be fixed, you talked about changing a setting in Windows which may cause your computer to take an extremely long time to shut down. I changed that setting and my computer will not shut down unless I hold down the power button. I don't remember what setting it was or even how to get back to reset that setting? Can you help? I know this is kind of vague and it might be impossible to figure out, but I figured I'd ask. The only time I shut down is after software updates, so I am not sure its even vital that I get this fixed. The computer appears to work fine. Thanks again for your time.
-Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reposting your PM.

The Eraser manual contains a link to the Microsoft instructions for emptying the paging file on exit. If you do this, it will lengthen the shut down process, typically by several minutes, but, Windows being what it is, that time can vary considerably.

Below this post, I have reproduced details of a Registry hack which can be used to change the setting. At the very least, it can be used to check whether the paging file is your problem. In my experience, it is more usually a driver or program that won't close. Try opening and closing Windows in Safe Mode; if that works normally (and doesn't clear the problem), Google on 'Windows will not shut down' to get a range of advice. I used to get the problem with XP sometimes; but don't recall seeing it in Vista or Windows 7.

David

Editing the Registry

Open your registry and find or create the key below.

Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called "ClearPageFileAtShutdown" and set it according to the value data below.

Exit your registry, you may need to restart or log out of Windows for the change to take effect.

Registry Settings
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\
Memory Management]
Value Name: ClearPageFileAtShutdown
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

Back