Problems with Eraser on USB drive?

Sarpa

Hello all,
I'm new to Eraser and despite the clear user interface, I'm in doubt whether the program was working correctly.
I tried to erase a MAXTOR 640Gb external USB-drive overnight, but only to find the program exactly where I left it the night before. See the attachment for a screenshot. I searched the forum for a solution, but couldn't find one. Is Eraser not working (properly) on external drives?

I'm running Win7/64 Ultimate on i7 920

Many thanks for your help.

cheers,
Sarpa

Attachments

• SnipImage.JPG
    SnipImage.JPG
    57.8 KB · Views: 936
Is the drive accessible normally from Explorer? If it is, can you erase a file or folder on the drive, either from the Eraser Task pane or the context menu of the file? If you can do that, what happens when you right-click the drive in Computer, and select Erase free space?

One oddity I can see from your helpful screen shot is that the progress bar is showing the task as completed. Perhaps Joel can advise on that one.

David

I think Eraser may be deleting the temporary files on the drive -- does your external drive have any activity?

The drive is indeed normally accessible through Explorer. I tried again after a quick format (just to try :) with the same result. However, placed a single file on the drive and that file was gone when I started Erases from the task panel.
I'll look into the tip on erase free space as soon as I get home.

@Joel, I can't see any read/write activity on the drive.

Thanks for looking into this.
cheers,
Sarpa
edit: Erase free space started from the contextmenu is starting properly, message "task completed" shows after completion. But the error log states: The program doesn't have the right permissions to erase unused disk etc. I have to run the program as admin, but I already tried that without success

edit2: This seems to work: Remove the volume on the drive in Windows Manager, create a new volume with quick format then Erase empty space... Hope this is enough to erase all...

Sarpa said:
edit: Erase free space started from the contextmenu is starting properly, message "task completed" shows after completion. But the error log states: The program doesn't have the right permissions to erase unused disk etc. I have to run the program as admin, but I already tried that without success
http://bbs.heidi.ie/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5309

Sarpa said:
edit2: This seems to work: Remove the volume on the drive in Windows Manager, create a new volume with quick format then Erase empty space... Hope this is enough to erase all...
That's fine, but it shouldn't require you doing that.

The only time I can imagine that the progress bar is full but the task isn't complete would be the end of the unused space erase...

Back