Recycle Bin context menu

HMishkoff

The context menu of my Recycle Bin suddenly has seven new items -- 35 Pass Gutmann, 7 Pass DoD, etc. Were these added by Eraser? If so, how can I remove them? (I don't plan to use them, so they're just an annoyance.) Thanks for your help!

Yes these were added by Eraser. They give you the option at the time of erasing your recycle bin as to which method you would like to use. I guess the more sensitive the files the more severe the overwrite pattern.

I personally like to have the options available, it just shows how flexible Eraser is.

Why do you say you will never use them ? Surly if you have downloaded and installed Eraser you must be at least a little security conscious !!!

Overwriter said:
Why do you say you will never use them ? Surly if you have downloaded and installed Eraser you must be at least a little security conscious !!!

Well, maybe "paranoid" would be a better description -- I was sued once, and I had this vision that my PC was going to get seized and scoured for evidence (it didn't happen). Ever since then I've used Eraser to "scrub" my freespace once a month, just to make sure that nobody can find anything incriminating that I "thought" I had deleted (the "Oliver North Syndrome").

I suppose I can get used to the extra items on the Recycle Bin context menu, but I doubt I'll ever use them, so they're just annoying at this point. But as I said, if there's no way to remove them, I suspect that I'll get used to them.

I suppose I can get used to the extra items on the Recycle Bin context menu, but I doubt I'll ever use them, so they're just annoying at this point. But as I said, if there's no way to remove them, I suspect that I'll get used to them.

I would say that is a small price to pay for the security that Eraser provides you with.

There will be a new version of Eraser released soon. Eraser V6 is a total re-write of Eraser V5 and promises to be a leap forward. I think the recycle bin options will be editable by the user, so that should make you happy !

Other than that Eraser V6 will be more stable, secure and efficient than any previous versions, please keep checking back and download the latest release when it is available !

PS, unless you have very large, empty drives I suggest weekly wipes !

In October you mention that v. 6 will be out soon.
Is there a mailing list that I could be placed on so I can be notified when it is available? I am setting up a new computer and would like to start with v. 6 rather than put v.5 on it now.
Approximately, when do you expect v. 6 to be released?

Thanks

v6 beta is out. But as per usual, read the announcement and the warnings; it is not for everyone.

Joel

Is the v6beta stable and safe to use? I am a novice computer user and don't want to take a chance of wrecking my computer. Approximately, how long does it usually take to go from beta to final release?
If I decide to take a chance, where do I download the v6beta?

If it's a beta it is unlikely to be stable. It won't crash, but stable to me is probably unstable to most, if not all users. And no there is no timeframe. The December 31 release is just for planning purposes. Things get postponed in software development, this project is no exception.

Joel

Back