Reformatting/How do I completely erase everything? Heeeeelp

makeupbox321

Hi. I am sure I have read something to do with this somewhere on here but as always, I can't find it when I want it. I bought a PC 2 yrs ago, running windows 98. Over the past few months it has been crashing all of the time. I was told to reinstall windows 98 which I did. No change. Still crashes. So then I was given instructions on how to reformat the hard drive, which I followed. I then had to reinstall windows 98 (even though my system told me there was an error and that I needed to contact the vendor whilst I was reinstalling it!). All my icons have gone, there is no trace of my modem or printer, which is good. That is what I wanted. Yet when clicked on Start, then find files/folders, then typed in SAGE (which was a programme I had installed prior to reformatting), the system found it in c:/programmes and in C:/windows. I actually want to remove all traces of everything ever done on this PC so that I can start all over again. I'm not kidding. It has been driving me bonkers. Is there a step I have missed? Is there something else I should be doing to get rid of EVERYTHING. Please, someone help me ... with as little techno jargon as poss because I am easily confused! Thanks

I have tried a web search and keep getting thrown in to various discussion forums ... what IS DBAN? Where do I get it? Can I download it or do I have to purchase it? Thanks

Eraser uses the 'Darik's Boot and Nuke' disk option to erase all your hard drives and the Operating system.

To use this option:
1. Place a floppy (or CD) in your a: drive.
2. Click on the Start button and then choose Programs->Eraser->Create Boot Nuke Disk.
3. Ensure 'Writing on Floppy' is ticked. Tick 'Formatting' if your floppy needs to be formatted.
4. Click OK. Result: Your Boot Nuke Disk has now been created.
5. Boot up your PC with the floppy still remaining in your a: drive.
Remember: If you wish to erase the Hard Disk of another PC, then bring this Floppy to the PC, insert it into the a: drive and Boot it up.
Result: All drives will now be erased (including the Operating System)
IMPORTANT: USE WITH EXTREME CAUTION
For a summary:
'Darik's Boot and Nuke' ("DBAN") http://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/
is a self-contained boot floppy that securely wipes the hard disks of most computers. DBAN will automatically and completely delete the contents of any hard disk that it can detect, which makes it an appropriate utility for bulk or emergency data destruction.'

Regards,
Finola

Right .... I am getting you now. So first I need to download ERASER. Can I save it to floppy or does it have to be downloaded directly on to my hardrive ? (as I am at work at the moment, I don't think they would like me to nuke their PC)!! Many many thanks for the help so far by the way ...

Download Eraser directly onto your Hard Drive and then start the ball rolling.

Help wise -> Your welcome.

Regards,
Finola

Back