right click menu

somewon1

Why was the two item right click menu put into a tree? There are 2 (two) items in it. It does NOT need a tree. How do I get rid of the stupid tree and get back to the perfectly functional and quite user friendly treeless right click menu additions? (Or is this some stupidity in Windows 7 that I will be forced to deal with again and again?)

This is an Eraser, rather than a Windows issue. The design decision was to have options in the context menu erase. In the development builds, a third option (Secure Move) has been added.

Personally, I'm not sure about the approach, because

• some people (obviously including yourself) dislike the complications that apps. tend to add to Explorer context menus;
  • I guess that, of the options on the context menu, 'Erase' is selected on the vast majority of occasions;
  • the development builds have added a quite fully featured confirmation dialog to context menu erasing, and this could easily be expanded to include the less used options currently branching off the context menu item, thereby simplifying the interface as a whole.
So, subject to any answer from Joel that makes points I haven't thought of, I'm with you in preferring the single context menu item leading direct to the confirmation dialog.

David

Well, I read my post and it sounds all too strident. Eraser is a fine gift to the computing world, but I'm not a fan of menu trees in general. As David said, Erase is likely used far more often than any other option. I've run into tree issues in many Microsoft programs (calendar functions in Outlook, for example - why they decided that moving 'mark as complete' underneath a menu tree I'll never understand). I'd vote for placing "erase" in the first level of the context menu ... assuming this is a democracy, of course :) ... a real one, that is :shock:

I'm not sure that 'open source' and 'democracy' are quite the same thing. As Joel is doing all the hard work, we'd probably not begrudge him the fact that his vote counts for more than ours ... :)

I agree with your sentiment, with the important proviso that, given the power of Eraser to wreak havoc, there must be a confirmation dialog for all erase operations; that dialog is then an appropriate vehicle for accessing less used options.

David

Back