Securely removal of file names/paths

Bobcat

Hi

I am new to the forum and want to find a tool that securely removes the file name and path as well as the content. I discovered by accident that both CCleaner and Revo uninstaller when used to wipe unused space still leave the file name, path and file size information intact which can be clearly seen by recovery tools even though the content cannot. This information could still be used by some agencies as incriminating. I am in the computer recycling business (small scale stuff for local businesses and homes) and when I sell a used machine, I want to be sure that there is nothing on the drive that the previous owner put on there that could later be recovered by the new user. I need to ensure that any dodgy stuff that the previous owners may have got up to is gone for good so there can be no comeback to me.

Can you tell me firstly if eraser securely removes this stuff and secondly how to correctly configure the tool so that it achieves the optimum level of security with the minimum wipe time.

Kind regards

Lee

Since the old content doesn't matter to you you may prefer to use a lower level tool e.g. DBAN instead.

Joel

Yes I do use DBAN on drives that need a new OS but in some instances especially where I am not confident I can find drivers I will often leave the OS intact but delete all the data and applications returning the OS to a more clean level. In this instance it is important to know that the data cannot be recovered. I use CCleaner and Revo in these instances and it was here that I found they still leave some of the meta data behind which is not good.

Well then Eraser only will get rid of data you ask it to erase; other stuff like USN journal (or the $logfile) may not be erased.

Joel

Bobcat said:
Hi

I am new to the forum and want to find a tool that securely removes the file name and path as well as the content. I discovered by accident that both CCleaner and Revo uninstaller when used to wipe unused space still leave the file name, path and file size information intact which can be clearly seen by recovery tools even though the content cannot.

Lee

Really? I thought after using the stable version 5.85 that if u chose the write algorithm to overwrite a file. Then it would change the folder and file names but it can't change the path so I just move the original path to a different location or rename it and the change well show up in recovery tools but best of all it swaps ur original files for system files if they haven't been fully deleted by then. Metadata...I haven't got there yet. xD

David101 said:
Really? I thought after using the stable version 5.85 that if u chose the write algorithm to overwrite a file. Then it would change the folder and file names but it can't change the path so I just move the original path to a different location or rename it and the change well show up in recovery tools but best of all it swaps ur original files for system files if they haven't been fully deleted by then. Metadata...I haven't got there yet. xD
Eraser will always remove the filename to the file before removing the file from disk (after overwriting) Metadata should be mostly removed.

Back