shell intergration and context menus in the recycle bin

pot

Hi
i've been using eraser 5 since day 1 of owning a computer.
My problem is that after deleting 5.8.8 and going into regedit and deleting all of the eraserext i could find and then manually having to delete dll from sys32 folder, and searching this forum and google for an answer and not finding, i come here to ask how do i remove the context menu from the recycle bin. Even after upgrading to the nightly build 6.1.0.2276 it is still there. When clicking one of the context options on right clicking the recycle bin it gives me the option to choose a program to open and when i choose eraser it opens a cmd box
"The given key was not present in the dictionary.
Press any key to continue..."
This makes no sense since eraser works fine.
If i choose a random program they open but of course do not work, so why can't eraser open?
Since these context menus are useless how do i get rid of them or when are you going to include them in this new eraser or how do i get them to work with my present installation.
Any of these options will do me.
Thanks
Phil

Re: shell integration and context menus in the recycle bin

I hope I have understood correctly that, after installing Eraser 6 successfully, you still have context menu entries left over from Eraser 5.

The two versions (which, in terms of code, are completely different) use different methods of implementing context menus. In another thread, Joel someone with a similar problem as follows.

joel said:
You can find the recycle bin context menu entries in HKCR\CLSID\{{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\Shell\EraseextX where X is from 1 to 7 IIRC. Just delete those keys.

This advice applies to Eraser 5 only. And you'd have to be pretty lucky with your search in the Registry Editor to find those keys.

David

The proper way to remove Eraser is to uninstall it from the Add/Remove Programs Control Panel applet. Removing that registry key will only remove the entries from the Recycle Bin.

Thanks David found and done.
You're right would never have found them.
Answer to Joel i did remove version 5 through the normal methods and cleaned afterward s with a variety of software and the context menus were always left behind.
Curiosity how come any of version 6 has no recycle bin integration?
Thanks again very happy all is right with my comp. :D
Phil

pot said:
It does. But it does not implement it 'under the hood' in the same way as Eraser 5. If the Recycle Bin Context menu is missing, it may have fallen prey to your purge of Eraser registry entries. I suggest uninstalling Eraser 6 and reinstalling.

David

pot said:
Answer to Joel i did remove version 5 through the normal methods and cleaned afterward s with a variety of software and the context menus were always left behind.
Okay; unfortunately the Eraser 5 codebase is frozen and will not receive any more attention as efforts are focussed on Eraser 6 now.
pot said:
It does have, does the other folders/files on your computer have the Eraser context menu item?

Joel
It does have, does the other folders/files on your computer have the Eraser context menu item?

In answer to the above yes i have context menu everywhere else.
I have followed Davids advice and reinstalled 6. Since windows is slow i didn't bother to reboot and will not know until i get back to my computer later tonight. Elsewhere at the moment.
Phil

Do note that the Eraser context menu is greyed out (disabled) when the recycle bin is empty.

Joel said:
Do note that the Eraser context menu is greyed out (disabled) when the recycle bin is empty.
But if it is not there at all, you should probably try the reinstall.

David

Back