Silent Install 6.0.7

Services, to a large extent, shares the ability to access anything when running under System. I know it's nothing exactly special that you're doing in your service program, and that while it is highly unlikely someone without the necessary technical skills be able to repeat the steps you provide, I'm hoping not to open a can of worms.

Especially since we're getting a wider audience reading the forums nowadays (versus when I first joined the project)

Hi,

sorry for reactivating this thread.
(I did not want to make a new 'silent install 6.0.10' thread).

I made some tests and I found that the setup file (Eraser 6.0.10.2620.exe) could be extracted with 7zip
to three files. A dotnet installer and two msi for 32 and 64 Bit.
If I make sure that dotnet is installed and then install the msi (silent) according to the OS architecture, will I miss something important ?
Is there any further logic in the installer ?

Thank you for your answer.

d.oertel

Using the open source client management system opsi
http://opsi.org

You should find that, providing you are using the correct version for your OS (32 or 64 bit), the msi file will be handled by the Windows installer. I have never done this from the command line; here is a description of a possible approach which I found on the web. The issue seems to be whether the command line will require parameters to be attached to the .msi call, or whether (as I would hope) calling the .msi without parameters will simply install the software with the default settings (which would be fine for Eraser). If the application you are using can do this, it should have a good chance of working.

I don't think that the installer is relevant in this context; AFAIK, all it does is identify which kind of OS is in use and call the appropriate installer. The .msi file should stand alone.

David

Yup, you can pass any parameters to the MSI installer that works for normal packages... I've not added anything fanciful in the MSI packages.

For 6.0 I'd recommend not including the registry keys since those are very, very version specific. A new 6.0 release may make those keys obsolete and reset to default.

I've changed the behaviour in 6.2 to use native registry types instead.

Hi,

Code:
if GetMSVersionInfo < "6.0"
		Registry loadUnicodeTextFile("%scriptpath%\hkcu-nt5.reg") /regedit /AllNTUserDats
	endif
Means to import this reg file only if we are on XP/2003

What I had seen, that the registry keys are needed at windows XP but not on win7.
I did not test this installation on any 6.0 box.

regards
d.oertel

It doesn't matter if it's XP or Vista or Windows 7; the sensitivity to the registry key is in Eraser 6.0.

Hi,

the problem on XP is, that if you install Eraser using the MSI (and the Installation is started by a service and not in the context of a logged in user) Eraser do not create these Registry entries by it self but gives on startup a error message and you have no possibility to make any configurations.
This problem was not seen at windows 7.

regards
d.oertel

Then your Windows XP system is missing the Windows Root Certificates update. Install that, which should have been done automatically by Windows Update anyway.

Hi,

thanks a lot for this hint. Indeed I tested it on a 'naked' win XPSP3. On a well patched XP no additional registry keys are needed. I fixed this. No everything works fine and silent.

Thanks for help

d.oertel

Back