something not quite right

A

Anonymous

I have a desktop which dual boots between win2k and linux. I am trying to make use of a 50 GB partition for storage, formatted with FAT32 (if it were NTFS, linux couldn't write to it safely). Win2k has a limitation in its format utility which only allows it to create a 32 GB maximum partition. However it should be able to use larger partitions if they are created in Win 98 for example, or using the linux utility mkdosfs. I have used mkdosfs, and the resulting filesystem comes back clean according to both windows "Check Disk" and linux "dosfsck". I can fill the partition 100% with files and it seems OK.

However I am afraid to put data on the partition because Eraser is giving me this error when I clean unused space:

"Error: Failed to clean directory entries from dive D:\, there was something not quite right with the filesystem. You may want to run ScanDisk."

Is there really something wrong with the disk or have I found some limitation in Eraser? Here is the chkdsk output from the command prompt:

C:\>chkdsk d:
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Volume western created 10/6/2004 9:23 AM
Volume Serial Number is 4163-F1D0
Windows is verifying files and folders...
File and folder verification is complete.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problem.
54,450,092 KB total disk space.
700 KB in 87 folders.
54,449,380 KB in 2,933 files.
0 KB are available.

4,096 bytes in each allocation unit.
13,612,523 total allocation units on disk.
0 allocation units available on disk.

C:\>

Thanks in advance...

Back