Stop Eraser running on Startup

dcefrance

We are running Eraser version 6.0.6 on Windows Vista Pro SP2.

We just upgraded from version 5. With version 5 we would disactivate scheduling and had the option to not run at Startup.

With version 6 I can not find this option nor can I find the program in the Startup folder.

We never use the scheduling function and only need to be able to right-click on a file or folder and erase it. I do not want Eraser running permanently and I do not want the icon displayed in the system tray.

How can we stop Eraser from running on Startup?

Thanks.

You can't -- Eraser needs the scheduler to run tasks. All erasures are run in that global instance of Eraser. If you really wanted to disable it, you'll hve to disable it in the registry (the HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run key) and after every erasure you'll have to manually exit. IMO, while it takes resources, the system is smart enough to know what to do with Eraser when memory load is high and I'd leave it to the system to do that and instead let Eraser run in the background to exploit its scheduling capabilities.

Why were we able to disable this functionality before, thereby making Eraser completely transparent to the end user with no visible icon, and now we no longer can?

dcefrance said:
Why were we able to disable this functionality before, thereby making Eraser completely transparent to the end user with no visible icon, and now we no longer can?
As I understand it, the background task in version 5.x was simply the scheduler; the functionality of Eraser ran in the foreground. In version 6.x, because of Windows security restrictions, Eraser as a whole runs as a background task; only the UI is in the foreground. This isn't an issue on my Windows 7 machine (I'm still running 5.x on my Vista box).

You can always customise the taskbar to hide individual notifications; this is as easy as stopping the running on startup was with the old version, and the system tray usually needs to be kept in order.

You can continue to run version 5.x on Vista for the present. In the longer term, it will not be updated or supported; the development team tell us that the code now needs a major rewrite, which is why they wrote version 6 in the first place. I think (though others don't) that version 6 has a cleaner and easier user interface than version 5, but it is not yet as mature or as stable as version 5.

David

Back