Take the hint...

A

Anonymous

So, ya got screwed by eraser. So-called "free software." Eraser's behaviour is typical of software made by people who get no incentive for creating it. LEARN THIS LESSON...IF YOU DONT WANT ANYONE TO SEE YOUR DATA, DON'T PUT THE CRAP ON YOUR HDD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! There is a reason why people once put everything on paper.

~~signed,
+++The voice of Reason+++

ID_thieve said:
So-called "free software."
What's so-called about it? Eraser is free, in every sense of the word.

Eraser's behaviour is typical of software made by people who get no incentive for creating it.
You wouldn't happen to be selling a similar program, would you? :lol:

IF YOU DONT WANT ANYONE TO SEE YOUR DATA, DON'T PUT THE CRAP ON YOUR HDD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
I agree, using encryption in the first place is always a better idea than erasing.

"...IF YOU DONT WANT ANYONE TO SEE YOUR DATA, DON'T PUT THE CRAP ON YOUR HDD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! There is a reason why people once put everything on paper."

yes because everyone knows it's SO much more expensive & harder to pick the lock on your door & steal paper, than it is to use advanced technologies to recover, erased data off a hard drive...

ID_thieve said:
So, ya got screwed by eraser. So-called "free software." Eraser's behaviour is typical of software made by people who get no incentive for creating it. LEARN THIS LESSON...IF YOU DONT WANT ANYONE TO SEE YOUR DATA, DON'T PUT THE CRAP ON YOUR HDD IN THE FIRST PLACE!!! There is a reason why people once put everything on paper.

~~signed,
+++The voice of Reason+++

What happened to you?
BTW. There's no program which really wipes everything away in a reasonable time. You can only make it harder but not impossible. And if you use 1 pass setting it's really easy to recover your "deleted" files...

Just to add to this Eraser is a good program but do not be fooled into thinking that it erases all traces of the file. try for example to use regedit in the command line after you delete something and see how many different places it shows up. If its something that has a known hex pattern and you can find traces of it in the registry, which you will almost always will, then someone can reconstruct it. If its not a known hex pattern then they at least know where it is on the hard drive and that makes it easier for them to dig and reconstruct the hex....i.e. recover the deletion.

By the way I did a comparison of the registry before and after eraser was loaded and then removed and man it leaves the word eraser everywhere on the registry.

Question/request to the great people who make these kind of programs. Can you make a live CD (possibly Linux) that does not touch the registry and does not have to be installed on the OS hard drive.....possibly on a thumb drive?

Thanks,
Tiko
PS I will look for another thread that is dedicated to requests....just got kind of rambling

Back