Task Won't Complete and Cannot be Cancelled

fkconnors

I am using Eraser 6.0.6 on Windows XP with SP3 on a Dell with a Celeron chip that runs at 1.1 GHz with 512 MB of RAM.

I started an Eraser task on December 31, 2009 at 8:44 AM to erase approximately 1.5 GB of data in approximately 1000 picture files (primarily JPG files) in one directory and all its subdirectories. This task is still running. In the Erase Schedule screen, the status bar for this task is full of green bars and has been for several days. I right-clicked on the task entry in the schedule and clicked on Cancel Task over an hour ago, but it is still running. Do you have any insight as to why the task is still running or how it is best to proceed cancelling the task?

Thank you!

It sounds like this bug: http://eraser.heidi.ie/trac/ticket/293 it's just been fixed yesterday. The only way to stop the task now would be to kill the process; you can get a nightly build (later than the revision of the commit) and re-erase the folder.

Thanks for your advice, but I had no success running Eraser with either of today's builds (1470 and 1472).
So I reinstalled the most recent stable build of 6.0.6 (1376), re-executed the task and watched it complete within a few seconds. Following are the details of my attempts in case you are interested.

Killed the Eraser.exe process via Task Manager.
Installed Eraser 6.0.6.1472 without uninstalling Eraser 6.0.6.1376.
Upon restart, Windows indicated that Eraser has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Uninstalled Eraser via Add/Remove Programs.
Reinstalled Eraser 6.0.6.1472.
Launched Eraser.
Windows indicated that Eraser has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Downloaded and then installed Eraser 6.0.6.1470.
Chose to Run Eraser at the end of the installation.
Windows indicated that Eraser has encountered a problem and needs to close.
Reinstalled Eraser 6.0.6.1376.
Chose to Run Eraser at the end of the installation.
I saw the task in the Erase Schedule that had been running for days and that I had been unable to cancel when I killed the Eraser.exe process.
I ran that task from the Erase Schedule and it completed within two seconds.
The files had already disappeared before I re-ran this task.
After re-running this task, the empty folders that had been left behind from the first attempt of the task are now gone.

The crash sounds like the same problem experienced when beta testers change from the server-built binaries to the binaries I build; I have that on my to-do list, to see what triggers the crash (actually it's an unhandled exception -- I still don't know what causes it)

If your task list is dispensable, you can delete %LOCALAPPDATA%\Eraser 6\Task List.ersx and install the nightly builds; if my hypothesis is correct, Eraser should start with a blank task list.

Back