"The Process cannot access the file because..."

A

Anonymous

Hi all, 2 questions:

I get a message saying "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process" : this happens only for certain index.dat files and not for others.

Any suggestions on what to do? I use windows XP

2nd, when I start my Index.dat Viewer, I still get a file that has my entire internet search history. How do I know what the directory of this file is, since there are many index.dat files on the puter?

hope to hear from you

Any suggestions on what to do? I use windows XP
There is nothing much you can do, Windows keeps Internet Explorer components loaded at all times, which causes these files to be locked as well. If you don't trust the browser to properly delete this information, there are some programs out there (search older posts) that let you clean the "index.dat" files. A better solution would be to stop using Internet Explorer and switch to a better browser.

I still get a file that has my entire internet search history
I suggest you simply delete this information from Control Panel / Internet Options. If you are worried about the data still being stored on your hard drive, erase the unused disk space. When you're done, give this a try: http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.

Back