TRAC issue: fails to send mails (here: e-mail verification)

maddes

Hello Eraser team,

yesterday I registered at your TRAC ticket system to create new tickets and comment on existing ones.
As I did not receive any e-mail verification mail after 1 hour, I checked my mail address in my new TRAC account and it was correct, so I hit resend.
An hour later I hit resend again.
After another hour I changed the account to my other mail acount, hit resend.
60 minutes later same process, check mail address (ok), check that I received mails within the last hours on both mail accounts (ok), hit resend.
Now 24 hours later still no mail from the Eraser TRAC system, so I assume that your TRAC system is not correctly setup to send mails.

If I hit the resend button, then it says the following:
http://eraser.heidi.ie/trac/verify_email said:
A notification email has been resent to <my mail address>.
But still no mail. TRAC user is "maddes" too.
Please fix.

Possible workaround: Is it possible to mark my mail address in TRAC as verified via the admin interface?

Kind regards
Maddes

P.S.:
The forum verification just worked within a minute. If the forum runs on the same server then sending mail generally works, and the TRAC setup is the cause of this problem.

P.P.S.:
Make this topic sticky as long as the problem remains, so you can easily collect all "Me too"s in this topic.

Re: TRAC issue: fails to send mails (here: e-mail verificati

This is a really frustrating issue. We have had a number of reports like yours, but Garrett (who owns the server) can't find anything wrong at his end.

David

I maintain my own root server incl. mail, so if it's a Linux/Unix server then normally there are a lots of messages to read.
There must be something in the logs, either in the ones of TRAC/Python/Database, or in the ones of the mail server (incl. SpamAssasin, ClamAV and alike), or in one of the other usual suspects like auth.
No message for problems on Linux/Unix are typically permission problems, where you have to find out the user of the processes and if the processes are running in a "jail" ("chrooted"), then the user's groups, check user's and group's rights for the whole application.

The admins can contact me (and are also allowed to use my account) to reproduce this behaviour, so they only have to look at recent messages.

Still not working, and still willing to help.

Maddes

I have written to Garrett, which is, I am afraid, all I can do.

David

Thanks for taking time to help!!!!

Garrett contacted me in early February, and I gave him access to my TRAC account.
He hasn't come back to me yet, and unfortunately the problem still exists.

I'll manually activate your account, let me run through the 2 months' worth of posts left unread while I was tied up (lol, almost literally!)

Have a go, your account should be activated now. Apologies for the delay, I was caught up with work...

Thanks Joel.

Let me know how I can help you to get this issue fixed.

Maddes

Sorry, which issue?

Verification mails not being send from TRAC server. The reason why I started this thread.

Manually activating accounts is not a solution, and not really a verification of mail addresses.

Maddes

I've observed that the SMTP server used by Trac seems to be prematurely closing the connection. I'm not definite, but it seems like a cause.

Back