Unable to do free space erase in Vista

Wait for the 1457 build. It should be out within the next half an hour or so.

The file is an installer, just run it and install over the current version of Eraser you are using.

am i to d/l Changeset 1457? cuz all it has is a folder called "branches" in it. there is no installer in it.

Go to the Downloads page and get it from there.

i run erase free space several times in vista 32/64 and have yet to see any results
am i looking in the wrong place for results file?
See attached copy of log

Attachments

• eraser log.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,151
Free space erasures in Eraser 5 even using the scheduler must be started with the program running as an administrator.

You can set it in the Start menu short cut, but no matter what you do, it will not start as an administrator by default when your computer boots. (Not that I know of -- please share if you know how)

OK once I open Eraser as administrator, if I leave it open, it stays as ADMINISTRATOR until it closes and reopens?
I guess that'll work? and it won't bother staying open any more than email, carbonite backup, etc?

That should work, yes. I don't understand your second sentence though.

These are just other programs that are always open, but minimized when not in use.
Therefore just a click to bring it back.

It should be fine, but I personally leave the computer alone when doing the unused space erase since the disk access becomes pathetically slow.

Re: Run out of space on my C:/D: drives

Hello, I have been reading all the forms I can find on this subject, and I have tried the fixes that are recommended but I am unable to fix my issue. I hate to be a bother asking the same thing all over again but here goes.

I am running windows vista, not sure if it is a 32 bit or 64 bit. I originally downloaded the version 6.0.6. 1376 released on 15/12/09. I ran that program asking it to wipe the unused disk space on Drive C:, Drive D: (same hard drive, just a partition) and then also to wipe the recycle bin. It took 12 to 14 hours (just a guess, went to bed when it was 25% complete after it had been running about 4 hours). This morning when I got up both Drive C: and D: were putting up the warning bubble on the bottom of the screen saying I had no space left. Drive C: has been allocated 221GB and it went from under 100 GB to only 1.88 GB free and the D: drive that holds my windows program has 10.8 GB allocated and had about 6 GB on it. It was completely full with no room at all left. I did a lot of reading on here about the same problem others are having and the solutions that have been recommended I have tried. I uninstalled the above version and downloaded the Nightly Builds 6.2r1644 released on 22/1/10 (different time zone I am guessing because it says it was released at 12:10pm and it is only 8:58AM here). I installed that program and ran it to wipe unused space on the D: drive only since it is smaller and faster. Sorry need to back track a bit....the first run I did of both C: and D: and the recycle bin I ask the program to replace erased files with the following files ( just used a small music file...about 200 songs, and it did that it says with one song at a time changing between songs) I also ran the RCMP TTSIT OPS-II (7 pass) and the second time with the newer Nightly Build 6.2r1644 version I only ran the Pseudorandom (1 pass). I did not check the box for "replace erased files with the following files".I got the following error at the end of the run...

Session: Friday, January 22, 2010 8:07:46 AM
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:09:03 AM Error D:\System Recovery did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access to the path 'D:\System Recovery' is denied.
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:09:03 AM Error D:\System Volume Information did not have its cluster tips erased because of the following error: Access to the path 'D:\System Volume Information' is denied.
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:09:32 AM Error D:\$AVG\$CHJW\avgcchff.dat did not have its cluster tips erased. The error returned was: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:09:32 AM Error D:\$AVG\$CHJW\avgcchfi.dat did not have its cluster tips erased. The error returned was: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:09:32 AM Error D:\$AVG\$CHJW\avgcchmf.dat did not have its cluster tips erased. The error returned was: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:09:32 AM Error D:\$AVG\$CHJW\avgcchmi.dat did not have its cluster tips erased. The error returned was: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)
Friday, January 22, 2010 8:09:32 AM Error D:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-2271264-1269211483-3247874778-1000\desktop.ini did not have its cluster tips erased. The error returned was: There is not enough space on the disk.

Friday, January 22, 2010 8:11:45 AM Error D:\XY5FE~)24''jKvhOjK\Kvc7hCRQ([9(y-(0an did not have its cluster tips erased. The error returned was: There is not enough space on the disk.

The error report is set to warning and higher. I can give you all the info it will help as it is not long. At least not near as long as the others posted earlier in the form. I am also using the program as an administrator ( right click/ run as administrator on the desktop icon) What am I doing wrong and how do I get my hard drive space back?

Thanks for you help!!!

Den

P.S. I am not much of a computer guru so please explain in easy terms!!!!

Just find the folder D:\XY5FE~)24''jKvhOjK\Kvc7hCRQ([9(y-(0an and delete it (just using the Windows delete) and you'll get your space back. On C:\ there should be a similarly (randomly) named folder, delete that too and you should be fine.

Thanks Joel, that did the trick!!! Can you tell me why it did that and is it safe for me to use that version again or should I try a different one? From all that I have seen and read on the internet it sounds like this is one of the best programs to use, but a lot of people seem to have problems using it. I am wondering if maybe that is because it is a program that is designed more for the person that has a clue what they are doing and less for us that don't really know. Is this a program that I should maybe avoiding until I have more advanced computer skills?

Thanks again Joel for your input. It is good to see that there are people out there who donate their time to helping others without any gain to yourselves. I don't think enough people let you guys know how important you guys are nor do they give you the appreciation you deserve. So thanks again Joel. I wish you and yours all the best.

Thanks
Den

Well, with software engineering we can't always foresee all the problems that we'll encounter, so we try to pre-empt bugs and ensure that it works and doesn't occur. But sometimes bugs can't be pre-empted, so we've got problems like you said. You can just delete the large folder everytime it fails. But, if you are really annoyed by it you can try a nightly build (6.2 should have this fixed in about a week's time)

Hi Joel
Please check the attached STAT LOG - It shows I procesed 4 times and none were succesful?
The most recent log has a lot of messages, similar to "Failed to erase unused space on C:\Windows\winsxs\x86_wpf-"
I'm not sure how to attach the log as a txt file says not proper file?
Thanks, Frank

Attachments

• Eraser Statistics.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1,614
That seems normal.

Back