unable to erase unused disk space .

naruto7

i downloaded the 6.0.8.2273 version of eraser and tried to use it to erase my unused disk space . when i run the task it instantly says "completed with errors" i have tried this many times with different stings on my internal and external drive. i am running on windows vista . what is the problem ?

Right-click the task and select View Task Log. You can filter the log down to get only Errors to determine the cause of the error.

I too had this problem. Is there a guide to help determine how to fix the problem, when you get the error message? I have been sucessful running Eraser on one of my infected computers, and have error messages.

I am an intermediate user at best.

Also I have a HP mini laptop (XP) that will not give the option to erase unused disk space, making Eraser unusable. Further, C Cleaner disk wiper gets to 45% wiped and I receive the disk full message followed by the completed task message with 55% unwiped!

I guess the hacker has figured out how to make "invisible" entries to trick/change eraser and c cleaner.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

PJ

The hacker may not be as clever as you think; Eraser has to struggle all the time against poorly implemented Windows 'security' features. Presumably CCleaner has similar issues.

I suggest that you first do a disk check, to make sure that all is reasonably well with the file system. Then review the FAQ post on common Eraser problems, to check whether any of the issues are relevant to you. In particular, make sure that no undeleted erasing files remain on the drive. Run a full antivirus scan (you could use a free online checker for this. If scans with different checkers come up clean, malware is a less likely problem than system issues. Of course, removing malware can sometimes have knock-on effects on the system.

If you are still getting issues with Eraser (we can't really answer questions about CCleaner, though it is a program I use and like), please describe the sequence of events in detail (including the actual text of any error messages), and say which versions of Eraser and of Windows you are using.

David

Thanks for replying David.
I will try your suggested steps, however a new problem has shown up:

I was working with Dell, who suggested I re-install the operating system. I did, and now the Eraser menu will not let me choose the drive clean as an option. C cleaner wipe, instead of starting normally now does a prescan, stops at 45-47 % eventually finishes to 100% and starts. It shows completed when I reach 45-47% - very suspect.

Dell XPS windows 7, ESET antivirus, c cleaner, Super anti spyware, installed. (prior to this I had spyblaster and spybot installed, and had Microsoft Security Essentials.)

I'll try your steps and get back to you.

This could either be a file system problem, or the system reinstall has left the runtime environment in an incomplete state. Unless CCleaner uses the same runtime (I don't know whether it does - it's not open source), the fact that two programs are having issues makes one wonder about the file system. Did you revert to factory condition from the restore partition?

David

I can't erase the free space and get the message that I don't have the "permission". What kind of permission do I need, and from who?

And/or, as you seem to find the question of permissions confusing (as many people do), you might like a short step by step guide. Try the section on running Eraser as Administrator in this post.

naruto7 said:
i downloaded the 6.0.8.2273 version of eraser and tried to use it to erase my unused disk space . when i run the task it instantly says "completed with errors" i have tried this many times with different stings on my internal and external drive. i am running on windows vista . what is the problem ?

First make sure NO Eraser program is running, including the bottome right of the tool bar. Then go to "C:\Program Files\Eraser". Right click on "eraser.exe". Select "Properties". Select "Compatibility" tab. Under "Priviledge Level" select "Run this program as an administrator". Now run Eraser.

Back