Unable to install any version on Windows 10

User82

I've been trying to install the newest version since the program never updated itself, so I uninstalled the old version (6.2.0.2620) and tried to install 6.2.0.2969, but every time I try to, it says "The directory name is invalid." I've restarted my computer, and don't see any old files/folders left over. Not sure what is the issue with it, but it needs to be fixed, especially since it never updated in three years even after I clicked on "Check for updates". Any help would be appreciated.

-Updated: Never mind, apparently there was one folder left with a file in it that wanted to mess with me.

Last edited:
Hi,

What & where was this folder as I'm still unable to get any version above 6.2.0.2620 to work?

PS: newer versions try to load Net4 - which ids already on my computer and refuses to let net 4 proceed - the Program Icon appears, as if completed correctly, but the program will not work. On trying to open it the taskbar icon appears but disappears as soon as the cursor hits it.

Last edited:
Hi,

What & where was this folder as I'm still unable to get any version above 6.2.0.2620 to work?

PS: newer versions try to load Net4 - which ids already on my computer and refuses to let net 4 proceed - the Program Icon appears, as if completed correctly, but the program will not work. On trying to open it the taskbar icon appears but disappears as soon as the cursor hits it.
I'm not at my computer right now, but I did a search for Eraser and deleted the folder it found. You can check under Program Files (x86), or Program Data. Once I deleted that folder it installed, not sure if the same will work for you. It still won't search for an update though, so not sure if that's the program or not.

I'm not at my computer right now, but I did a search for Eraser and deleted the folder it found. You can check under Program Files (x86), or Program Data. Once I deleted that folder it installed, not sure if the same will work for you. It still won't search for an update though, so not sure if that's the program or not.

Thanks for reply - both those folders and files contained therein deleted - 10 still won't work with anything above 6.2.0.2620 on my rig - appears , in my case, to be a problem with Net4 but damned if I know what?

PS As far as I'm aware Eraser being a free issue has (in my experience) never self updated

Very Strange - Eraser opened showing a weeks old removal as running - and immediately dialogue box stating an error had occurred and windows would shut Eraser down - which it did.

Removed Eraser again and retried install - back to previous state program appears to be loaded and working but icon in taskbar pop-up window disappears immediately the cursor touched it.

Also if a file is selected for delete program appears to open task appears to run but - after get 'task completed with errors' and the file is still intact.

So - looks like this previous delete is stuck somewhere on my computer any idea how to clear it?

SOLVED (I Hope) renamed the stuck folder - originally Windows.old to Crap reinstalled from link above and Eraser opened with Windows.old suspended instead of running deleted task and all now looks well

PS Donated a couple of cups of Coffee Great program Great help

RoGeT

Last edited:
I have to say I'm having a similar problem with Windows 10. It doesn't tell what exactly the problem is, just that when you try to run Eraser, Windows comes back and states the program caused an error and all you can do is close the error window.

Can you try installing this version: eraser6.2
We dont have Win10 ourselves to test on just yet.

Tried this build. As soon as you run it, Win10 comes back and says the program has stopped working. It tries to go through a problem resolution, comes back with no solution, and tells you to close the window.

Can't post with a imbedded link yet so had to change the quote above.

Merlin 1951,

I've now used the link on two Win 10 Pro Computers with success - in both cases direct from this page
Not sure if it helps but I did uninstall whichever version of Eraser was present, then restart PC, before installing from link.

Merlin 1951,

I've now used the link on two Win 10 Pro Computers with success - in both cases direct from this page
Not sure if it helps but I did uninstall whichever version of Eraser was present, then restart PC, before installing from link.

Tried uninstalling the old version and installing the new one. Still a no-go. Just says the program has stopped working, goes through a troubleshooting session, then says to close the window.

Tried uninstalling the old version and installing the new one. Still a no-go. Just says the program has stopped working, goes through a troubleshooting session, then says to close the window.

Have read all the posts on this page about Eraser and Windows 10. Eraser has been a great program but it definitely has issues with Windows 10. I find it is not as stable and reliable as it was with Windows 7. I know this is all voluntary but is there any chance we could get a proper update for Eraser because it seems Windows 10 is going to be around for a long time. Thanks - Ian

Thanks. Have installed latest version (mine was previous version) and so far seems to be working OK. Will get back to you if any further problems. Ian

If you download Windows 10 and install it, but there are som bugs when you start it, you can use Tenorshare Windows Boot Genius to fix Windows boot or Windows crashes on boot errors. You can use it to create startup disk windows 10 or treat it as a Windows 10 bootable recovery tool. For other information about windows 10 boot to repair, Windows 10 restore boot,Windows 10 how to boot from cd, you can read more from its website.

For whatever reason, after installing Eraser on my Surface Pro 3 running Windows 10... every time I attempt to open the program, it shows in the tray for a second or two and disappears and the program never opens. Any suggestions as to what might be causing this issue?

If you are trying to install Windows 10 and you are getting an error stated as “Something Happened” error message while installing any Windows 10 version then you can fix this issue using some tricks mentioned in the link below:

http://www.fixwindowserrors.biz/blo...d-error-screen-during-windows-10-installation

With this link, you can easily fix an error you are getting again and again and will be easily able to install Windows 10 without nay hassle. However, the steps used in the solution are s easy that you can perform it without any technical help. So just try it and overcome your issue and enjoy the new features in the new Windows version.

Back