Unused Disk Space: Task finishes instantly but no results

TubbyPirate

I am running Eraser 5.86.1 on a Vista x64. I recently backed-up every DVD I own in preparation for a deployment to Iraq. Obviously, recovery software finds several dozen .IFO and .VOB files. I would like to erase unused disk space to make recovery of other files easier. I create the task for both the C: and D: drives (both 250GB western digitals) on a DOD method. When I "Run All Tasks" the tasks complete almost instanly but nothing is actually deleted. I have checked the forum but do not know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your help and thanks to Heidi for making a great program that works beautifully. Well, until now.

Hi TubbyPirate

I am sorry you are having trouble with Eraser.

Are you able to right click a drive letter and select erase unused space ?

If so does Eraser seem to be working ok ?

While you are testing you could use the pseudo random single pass for speed.

I had this problem as well. When I checked to have all erasing reports shown when done it gives me the following:
Error: Erasing the free space of a drive requires elevation.

What does that mean exactly?

Hi :)

You need to be logged in as administrator in Vista.

Do you have the latest version of Eraser installed ?

I appreciate all the help so far and apologize for the delayed response.
I tried elevating to administrator like Joel suggested but to no avail.
Overwriter asked if I could use the context menu in "My Computer" to "Erase Unused Space." The option is there but it still didn't work. However, it did allow me to save the errors into a log. They are the same errors already mentioned in other replies but I will post the full text of the log anyways.
Information:
Statistics:

Erased area = 0 bytes

Cluster tips = 0 bytes

Data written = 0 bytes

Write time = 0.00 s

Failures:
Error: Erasing the Free Space of a drive requires elevation
Error: Erasing the Free Space of a drive requires elevation
Error: Failed to erase file names from drive D:\, don't know why exactly.

I find the last error the oddest.
Also Eraser is up to date at v 5.86.1

That happens because of the first two.

Could you tell me which version of Windows Vista are you using? This is so I can see why the program is not checking UAC correctly. You aren't the first reporting this UAC issue.

Oh - while you're at it. After "closing" eraser from the system tray, could you check to see if Eraser.exe is still running in your task manager?

Joel

I will look into it when I can, currently I've got end-of-year exams coming. But I've bugged this as a TODO.

Joel

Back