URGENT!

Cudder

When i ran a task to erase the Recycle Bin It didnt showed up any status or progress of the erasing.
So i ran another one but still no luck, will this cause any problems?
By the way i run the Guttman on both of them, how long will it take to Erase?
Oh and does this delete the files that have already been erased by the Recycle Bin?
It took like one second to finish and i didnt saw any "Successful" things pop up.
The task literally dissapeared, does this mean its erasing them right now?
It couldnt ended in 1 second trust me, i had Gigs of data that ive erased through the Recycle Bin.
Please help me!

What OS and what version of Eraser are you using? How did you start the task (Schedule window or context menu)? Have the contents of the Recycle Bin disappeared, or are they, or some of them, still there? Is there one or more tasks showing in the schedule window. Please use the link in my signature to go to the FAQ and read the posts on getting to know Eraser and common Eraser problems before posting your answers.

Whatever your problem the actual erasing method you use is not likely to be an issue.

David

1.Im using the newest version of Eraser
2.I Started it in schedule
3.No i didnt had any content on the Recycle Bin, i wanted to erase the files
that ive erased from the Recycle Bin that are stored in the disk but can be recoverable
i want them gone for good, im selling my CPU.
4.And no there are no tasks shown in the window.
5.Please help me its an emergency :? Thanks a lot David
This forum is nice for its quick responses :)

You need to wipe the free space on the drive. You may need to run Eraser as Administrator to do this (see the FAQ). If it's the C: drive, there will be loads of error messages about erasing cluster tips, but don't worry about those. If there are other problems, again see the FAQ (so you don't have to wait for my answer). When you're done, run a file recovery program (Recuva is a good one) to see what it finds. If nothing sensitive is found, you're done.

David

If i erase the free space in the C:Drive will it erase the files i currently have?
Like my saved movies, pics, music, ect?
Cause im buying a usb hard drive and dont wanna erase those.
And specifically what does it erase?

Thanks a lot once again :)

Cudder said:
If i erase the free space in the C:Drive will it erase the files i currently have?
No
Cudder said:
And specifically what does it erase?
As it says, the free space. In your own interest, please read the FAQ post on Getting to know Eraser. This is a program with which you want to know what you are doing.

David

Will this erase every file that i have erased throught the Recycle Bin?
And if i find some which didnt with the recoverable file program what should i do next?

Cudder said:
Will this erase every file that i have erased throught the Recycle Bin?
Yes. You are not reading the FAQ, are you? This is not a product to use blindly.

Cudder said:
And if i find some which didnt with the recoverable file program what should i do next?
If they aren't sensitive, nothing. If they are, use a file recovery program (such as Recuva) which has a built in facility to overwrite recoverable files. Then, if you want to be sure, run the Eraser free space erase again.

David

Thank You Very Much!
Yes i am reading it but id rather hear it from your point of view! :)
Thanks again

Ok i already searched my files on Recuva
but some of the files dont appear there, what i mean is that they dont show up
when i search them, just some of them, can the files that dont show be recoverable
by like another program?

In this life, there is no such thing as 100% secure. But I always reckon that if Recuva can't find what I don't want found, there's a good chance that another recovery app. won't find it either. There are dozens if not hundreds of such apps out there, and no one can test them all, but they all have to work with the same file system, so to that extent they all have to work in the same way.

I've probably used half a dozen of these apps over the years; to me, Recova is the best because it gives you a lot of information in a pretty intuitive UI, and because it has facilities to let you decide the depth of the scan, and to overwrite any files that might be a problem.

David

One last question, how do i overwrite the files with Recuva if Eraser doesnt work?
And can i use the Internet while its erasing the free space?
Thanks

Cudder said:
One last question, how do i overwrite the files with Recuva if Eraser doesnt work?
In the scan results, select those you want to overwrite, right click on one of them, and select 'Secure overwrite Highlighted'.

Cudder said:
And can i use the Internet while its erasing the free space?
Yes, but I don't advise it, as erasing free space pretty much monopolises the hard drive. By the same token, pause or disable your antivirus/security program before starting the free space erase. Then go down the pub.

David

Why do i need to disable it?
Cause i started erasing since yesterday and its like 1/3 filled.
Will it work since i started erasing it with my antivirus on?

Speed is the issue. On an old or slow machine in particular (and, I suspect, one with a very fragmented hard drive also), free space erase can be very slow. This is a function of hard drive technology and of the file system, rather than of Eraser itself; in other words, it's a fact of life, and the slowness of your erase does not surprise me.

You can switch off your AV at any time while Eraser is running. It doesn't hurt to leave it on, of course, but it can compete with Eraser for hard disk resources and make things yet slower.

David

The greatest performance gain is when disabling the antivirus while erasing cluster tips. Although admittedly this has the tendency to "activate" dormant malware as cluster tips involve opening every single file and stream on the disk.

Back