Warning ! My computer has no free space after ERASER

axelman

Hi
I have just installd Win 7 ultimate after the "old" XP.
So I reinstalld the ERASER 6.0.6 and started a erase of unused space on C: .
My harddisk is 160 GB and only a small part was used.
BUT NOW THERE IS ONLY A FEW MB THAT ARE FREE.
It seems that this new version is a flop .
The old version always functioned.
AND I DON´T KNOW WHAT TO DO TO GET MY OLD FREE SPACE BACK.
Perhaps someone here has a clue ?

Hoping
Axelman

Look for a folder with random names at the root of the drive. It should have files with a regular file size and there would be a few hundred of those files. All the files have a random file name. Delete the entire folder.

This is caused by either an anti-virus app or the Indexing service locking files.

Hi
Thanks, that worked.
Can I do something to make the ERASER work ok or should I try to find an other program or perhaps the old version ?

Regards
Axelman

Try again, if it's a recurrent problem let me know I'll try to work on it.

The old versions had this problem as well. The fix for that was also applied to Eraser 6.

Joel said:
Look for a folder with random names at the root of the drive. It should have files with a regular file size and there would be a few hundred of those files. All the files have a random file name. Delete the entire folder.

This is caused by either an anti-virus app or the Indexing service locking files.

Hallo again

I think I have activated that Indexing service.
I don´t think I had that activaten on my XP-version.
Perhaps it would be wise to UNactivate that service before I try again with the Eraser.
Can you tell me were to stop this Indexing service ?
That service is for faster searching I guess.
I don´t think that that fastness is important for me.

Regards and A MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU ALL !
Axelman

Control Panel, Indexing Options. There should be a button to pause it somewhere.

HI

I have now stopped the INDEXING.
(services.exe )
Then I reinstalled the Eraser.
But now I get a message:
I hope you can se the attachment.
What to do now ?
Perhaps I should try the older version that worked fine with XP ?
If it is available ?
regards
Axelman

Attachments

• Skärmklipp.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 3,973
This is interesting. I wonder what can cause this. Could you do a registry dump of HKCU\Software\Eraser\Eraser 6 and send it to me?

Hi
I´m sorry but I uninstalld the version 6.
I installd the 5.8.8 instead and that worked fine as far as can see.
So I stick to the 5 for now.
If I can help you in some way please let me know.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Axelman

Hallo
I had to reinstall my win 7 and I then tried Eraser 5.8.8.
But it seems not to work.
I got this information:

Information:
Statistics:
Erased area = 0 bytes
Cluster tips = 0 bytes
Data written = 0 bytes
Write time = 0,00 s
Failures:
Error: Erasing the Free Space of a drive requires elevation
Error: Failed to erase file names from drive D:\, don't know why exactly.
Error: Failed to erase file names from drive C:\, don't know why exactly.

Is there any way to fix this ?

Regards
axelman

With Windows 7, I'd use Eraser 6. If you are using Windows 7 x64, I'd recommend using the most recent nightly build. I'm still having problems (which I am discussing with Joel) over erasing the contents of the Recycle Bin with Eraser 6, but, because of Windows security issues, I'd advise people in any case not to use the Recycle Bin to delete sensitive material, but to erase it direct.

Under XP, I think that there is a good case for sticking with version 5.8.x for a bit longer. Vista is pretty marginal; 5.8.8 is much clunkier on my Vista x64 box than on my XP laptop. Eraser is in transition; I just hope that version 6.2, when it surfaces, will actually resolve the 'which version?' question once and for all.

David

I have Win 7 Ultimate.
I tried to open the ERASER 5.8.8 by right-clicking and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and then it loks like it worked again.

Axelman

axelman said:
I tried to open the ERASER 5.8.8 by right-clicking and RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR and then it looks like it worked again
Yes, that would be the normal way of things. You can also set the properties of the .exe file (or a shortcut) so that it would always open in this way. But this is in itself a compatibility issue, and it hints at the reasons why the Eraser team felt the need to produce the (continuing) complete rewrite which is Version 6.

David

Hi

i had the same problem with Eraser 6.0.6.1376, where Eraser creates a huge number of files that occupy space. (It's really scary to see your Hard disk get totally full during scanning even) .

I saw that the answer to recover the space on the drive was to delete the folders with random names at the root of the drive. Can we use right click eraser to erase the list of file for these ones?

My problem is there seems to be space still missing. iused to have 37GB free on my 160 HDD, but now it's only 28GB. Do i need to look inside each sub-folder on C:/ to know if there's any other folder/file to delete?

I have also got a file that refuses to be deleted

You don't need to erase the files/folders, as they only contain garbage. Deleting them is fine.

AFAIK, Eraser only puts files and folders in the root of the drive when wiping; it would not make sense for it to do anything else. If there are inconsistencies, make doubly sure that all the garbage is deleted, and then run a disk check. On the system drive, you'll probably need to do this on reboot; make sure that the option to fix any errors is checked.

David

Back