Web site down

DavidHB

The main Eraser site eraser.heidi.ie appears to be down at the time of writing. I hope that this is planned maintenance, and not continuing results of the server compromise.

David

The web site is back up, but there seems to be a problem with the downloads page. It is possible to download the stable build (6.0.8.2273), but no other builds are listed. The last time something like this had happened, there was (I recall) a problem with SorrceForge, which Joel did fix.

David

DavidHB said:
...there seems to be a problem with the downloads page. It is possible to download the stable build (6.0.8.2273), but no other builds are listed. The last time something like this had happened, there was (I recall) a problem with SorrceForge, which Joel did fix.
Yes, it actually happened twice last December, I believe. The first time it took ~10 days to get the issue resolved. Unfortunately, the same issue popped up not too long after it was (supposedly) resolved but it was resolved more expeditiously the second time. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer before Joel can resolve the current (I'm assuming it's most likely the same) issue.

This time it's due to our database... I can't bring the data out of the old server at the moment as data could have been compromised. I'd have to reset the necessary tables and bring it online only after the data has been verified.

Joel said:
This time it's due to our database... I can't bring the data out of the old server at the moment as data could have been compromised. I'd have to reset the necessary tables and bring it online only after the data has been verified.

Any chance we can get access the nightly builds while the website is being fixed?

JWT-Tech said:
Any chance we can get access the nightly builds while the website is being fixed?
I'd warmly second this.

David

DavidHB said:
JWT-Tech said:
I'd warmly second this.
I'll bump this with a "third". :wink:

I understand time constraints and logistics but the onset of the issue was over a month ago.

I apologise for the long delay... I've just cleared one of my hurdles and I've got a backlog to work though. I've got the downloads page working again, but Trac is still not up. Garrett and I will be discussing on the future of Trac and the nightly builds. It is rather expensive to maintain our set up as a dedicated server we would need to pay a hosting company just to host the build server.

Perhaps we can gather some feedback so that we can make better choices? For starters, how much would the community be willing to contribute to the running of the server? I do seem to recall there was a company hosting OSS projects' servers at no cost to the project but I can't remember their name (maybe someone here does?)

Joel said:
Perhaps we can gather some feedback so that we can make better choices? For starters, how much would the community be willing to contribute to the running of the server? I do seem to recall there was a company hosting OSS projects' servers at no cost to the project but I can't remember their name (maybe someone here does?)
Could you give us a general idea of how much you need to raise to keep the Eraser programme running? It's not just server time of course, because I know that you ideally need to update your development tools.

David

When Trac was running properly we had two servers one for the forum and the other for Trac and the build system.

Once the build server got hacked we had to take it all down. I am thinking of redeploying trac again but need to get the time and a server to set it up on.

Donations are not sufficient to pay for a dedicated server, development tools or anything else. This is why progress is so slow, I cannot simply burn money on Eraser for the fun of it.

Perhaps we should have a team meeting via Skype, we are due one anyway.

Garrett

Seconded, I'll post updates once that's done.

Back