Weird "given key was not present" pop-up after reboot

jphase

After I rebooted my 2003 server box and logged in, a command prompt appeared with the title:

"C:\Program Files\Eraser\eraser.exe"

"The given key was not present in the dictionary."

"Press enter to continue..."

Any idea what that was about?

Could you go over to msconfig and have a look and see what the Eraser start up command line is?

Thank you,
Joel

I get the same behavior on Vista 64-bit. The command being used to start Eraser is:

"C:\Progra~1\Eraser\Eraser.exe" --atRestart

Magus

Okay. It seems like msconfig is isn't reporting the whole story. There seem to be two registry entries firing off on startup. One in HKLM\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and one in HKCU\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.

The HKLM entry is the "C:\PROGRA~1\Eraser\Eraser.exe" --atRestart
The HKCU entry is C:\Program Files\Eraser\Eraser.exe --hide

I'm going to try uninstalling Eraser. Making sure the registry entries are gone and then reinstalling.

Okay. After uninstalling the registry keys are gone. It turns out I had both version 5 and version 6 installed. That may have been confusing Eraser. Now with just the current RC for version 6 installed I no longer get the popup window but Eraser crashes on startup. I get a notification that Eraser has stopped working and would I like to send the information to Microsoft dialogue box.

Could you go to C:\Program Files\Eraser and list all the files there and their corresponding versions?

Joel

The directory was empty. I reinstalled Eraser and this is what's there:

bevelline.dll
version 1.0.0.0

dragdroplib.dll
version 1.0.0.0

eraser.exe
version 6.0.5.1114

eraser.manager.dll
version 6.0.5.1114

eraser.shell.dll
version 6.0.5.1114

eraser.unlocker.dll
version 6.0.5.1063

eraser.util.dll
version 6.0.5.1114

Could you follow the instructions in point 0 (to delete the given registry key) and see if that fixes your problem?

Joel

You got it. Deleting HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eraser\Eraser 6\3460478d-ed1b-4ecc-96c9-2ca0e8500557\TaskList fixed the crash on startup problem.

Back