What does 32 - 64 bit mean

Yadu

Prior to downloading Eraser there is an option to select 32 or 64 bit - what does this mean and how do I know which one to select and why is there no instruction to let me know this so I don't have to ask this question and wait for an answer before I can download the software - or am I just stupid?.

Cheers,

Yadu
:cry:

Yadu said:
Prior to downloading Eraser there is an option to select 32 or 64 bit - what does this mean

It means that Eraser is available in 32 and 64 bit versions.

Yadu said:
how do I know which one to select

If you have XP64 bit or Vista 64 bit you need the Eraser 64bit download. Otherwise (which I suspect) you need the 32bit version.

Yadu said:
why is there no instruction to let me know this so I don't have to ask this question

Because it is common sense. :?

Yadu said:
or am I just stupid?

I wish to exercise my right to remain silent. :lol:

Only joking with you Yadu, any more problems just write back.

Yes, and I appreciate all or the responses - but how do I determine whether my XP, SP2, is 32 or 64 bit?

Cheers

Yadu

Go to “Start”, then right click on “My Computer” and choose “Properties” and it should tell you.

Hi -

I went to My Computer - there is no info about bits.

I accessed PC Wizard 2007 - searching through all the tech info I found two references - one re 32 and one re 64:

Under:
Ohysical Memory (2GB)
SPD EEPROM (DIMMD)
width = 64bit

Under:
Mainboard
Slot information
slot AGP 4X: Available (32bit) shared slot opening
slot PCI: (32bit) shared slot opening

so, which is the one that governs the installation of Eraser?

Thanks your your technical knowledge and willingness to share - listen in on my show on www.wtprn.com, Midnight- 2:00 AM central, M-F

Cheers,

Yadu

I accessed PC Wizard 2007 - searching through all the tech info I found two references - one re 32 and one re 64:

The info you have there is regarding hardware and not your OS.

Are you sure there was no description of what OS you had installed in the properties of “My Computer” ?

Do you have XP or Vista ?

How old is your computer ?

Just in case OS = Operating System.

Actually thinking about it I don’t think XP 32bit shows that it is 32bit in the properties so I guess that is what you have !

I suggest that you download the 32bit version and try to install it. If it all goes ok then I think it will be fine. I don’t think trying to install Eraser 32bit on a 64bit system will cause any harm, it will probably just show an error and abort.

Let me know how you get on.

Hi -

Yes, My Computer propertied folder as OS info - just no info re bit 32 or otherwise.

My Computer properties indicates I have an XP-SP2 (home edition). My motherboard is less than a year old - Celeron CPU 3.06 GH, 2.0 GB ram.

I will try instaling the 32 bit Eraser, as you suggest.

Thanks,

Yadu

Yadu said:
Hi -

Yes, My Computer propertied folder as OS info - just no info re bit 32 or otherwise.

My Computer properties indicates I have an XP-SP2 (home edition). My motherboard is less than a year old - Celeron CPU 3.06 GH, 2.0 GB ram.

I will try instaling the 32 bit Eraser, as you suggest.

Thanks,

Yadu
if your computer is 64 bit it says so on that My Computer - Properties - General tab.

If it just says (for example) Microsoft Windows XP Professional Edition (Year) then it is 32 bit. The 64 bit has Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (Year).

An alternative way is to click (works for XP, don't know about Vista)

Start - Run

Type winmsd.exe and click OK. System Information loads (eventually, on my computer).

In the details pane (right hand side) look for Processor in the Items column - if the value starts with x86 it is 32 bit. If it is 64 bit it will start with ia64 or AMD64.

Back