What Happened to Disk Space-Help! I did read FAQ

jamesrwrightiii

I ran the program Eraser on my desktop today in preparation for selling it so I can get my laptop, and I had a power outage in the middle of running it. When I booted back up I barely had any space left on my hard drive despite having 70GB free prior to running it. I tried to track down where those files are at and unfree the space, but I have had no such luck. I have followed the instructions in the FAQ and I still can't free up the space. I am getting desperate since the person is supposed to pick it up tomorrow afternoon, and I have alot to do..

I am not sure how to free up the space other than reinstalling/reformatting windows. I don't want to do that. Any thoughts/ideas?

This really stinks! I am supposed to sell my computer now and I can't.

I searched high and low for the file via windows explorer
No such luck.

I tried to disable/enable system restore.
Once again no luck!

I am not sure what else to do!?:(

jamesrwrightiii said:
I ran the program Eraser on my desktop today in preparation for selling it so I can get my laptop, and I had a power outage in the middle of running it. When I booted back up I barely had any space left on my hard drive despite having 70GB free prior to running it. I tried to track down where those files are at and unfree the space, but I have had no such luck. I have followed the instructions in the FAQ and I still can't free up the space. I am getting desperate since the person is supposed to pick it up tomorrow afternoon, and I have alot to do..

I am not sure how to free up the space other than reinstalling/reformatting windows. I don't want to do that. Any thoughts/ideas?

Eraser clears unused disk space by creating multiple files. The files are standard files; you should be able to find a bunch of files with random-character file names under the root directory and delete them.

If nothing else, then you should be able to use DBAN to clear the drive and re-install Windows.

Hi jamesrwrightiii

If you run eraser again it should remove all the temporary files automatically. As you said you had a power cut during the initial cleaning process eraser was unable to delete all the temp files the first time round.

If time is a problem as you are selling your computer so soon I suggest that you simply overwrite with a single pass. This will be sufficient security for the average user.

Lets us know how you get on.

Bubble

Back