Win XP setup doesn't detect hard disk after DBan wipe

Mike_A

Hi,

I recently used DBan on a friend's PC with mulitple hard disks (2 to be exact). He had C and D drive, the C containing the Windows installation and his D drive having all of his personal media files, Word documents, etc. My original intent was to erase his infected Windows (thus, erase the C drive) while preserving his media files on the D drive. I then wanted to reinstall Windows on the C drive and be back to normal.

When presented with the screen to select which drive/partitions to erase, I saw a list of 4 partitions/drives. Upon selecting the first, the next two partitions were automatically marked with asterisks. I assumed that I had selected the C drive (the 4th, unchecked partition being the D drive) and proceeded with the erasure.

Upon selecting to install Windows XP from the setup disc, I receive an error that setup does not detect any hard disks. I then am forced to reboot. Additionally, I notice that during boot-up I now have an option to press "CTRL-I" to enter in some sort of Intel RAID controller screen. The screen shows both drives and/or partitions listed separately with green status, but another listing of a RAID 0 partition (which I think is the combined partition as its size is the sum of the two individual listings), indicated a status of "not bootable."

One more thing, if I attempt to boot the PC without the XP setup disc, the boot stops after the message "Verifying VMI pool data" or something similar. So from this I conclude that I did indeed erase the Windows installation but I don't know much more than that.

If anybody can provide me with some information, I would be greatly appreciative. I simply want to re-install Windows while preserving my friend's data. Thank you.

Mike_A

You must push F6 early during the installation and provide a disk with SATA and/or RAID drivers for this hardware. Determine the motherboard model and get appropriate driver files from the vendor website.

If this computer does not have a floppy drive, then you must "slipstream" them into custom installation media.

dajhorn,

Thank you very much for the quick reply. Is there a way I can get the motherboard information via the computer (ie: in the BIOS screen) or should I physically inspect it and find the relevant markings?

I can't consult the original documentation that came with the computer because it was a custom built system and he didn't save any of the paperwork. :(

Try these if you have an Intel motherboard:

http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=1666&lang=eng
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=182&lang=eng

Past that, google for the BIOS serial number that will be printed to the screen when the computer POSTs. Push the "Pause" button, which is near the "PrtSc" button, to interrupt the POST long enough for you to copy it to paper.

If you get a fancy splash screen when the computer starts, then you must toggle a BIOS option to get the real POST screen.

Back